The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

23 is an absurd number. I get that its not for everyone, but its not poorly made, which that score represents.

This review is kind of my point.

" The only positive note is Emma Stone’s performance, she’s always superlative! But the series is really particular, the pace is very slow and some scenes are bizarre and leave me perplexed, I can’t find a logical thread that holds the narrative together."

We’ve seen 1/4 of the total narrative of the story. So yeah, its possible the logical thread of the narrative hasn’t shown itself yet. I believe the majority of the critics have seen the show in its entirety, which really makes me think that the narrative structure is going to reveal itself across the whole of the story, not just the first 1/4.

1 Like

Those audience reviews kill me lol. Same goes for a lot of critics reviews though too. I just find myself thinking what did you guys think you were signing up for??

I’m actually pretty confused by the complaint about a lack of narrative thread, even through only two episodes. This is as linear as most TV shows that are juggling multiple subplots.

“This is weird and I find it icky” I can at least fully understand and sympathize with even though I’m not there. But it’s a perfectly coherent show at this point.

1 Like

jesus this is too much work I just want a jeopardy app that I pay $5/month or whatever

I thought I posted in the J! thread but I guess I don’t know how to computer

New series from the Cobra Kai team sounds pretty fun with an interesting concept.

https://screenrant.com/obliterated-show-hayden-schlossberg-jon-hurwitz-josh-heald-interview/

1 Like

Sounds good. Very nice logline for the premise.

The 8-episode series tells the story of an elite US military team who celebrate hard in Las Vegas after seemingly stopping the detonation of a nuclear bomb. At the height of their revelry, the team discovers they disarmed a decoy, and a very real threat to Las Vegas is still in the city.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1727074958910615656?t=rcbs9I2or5OuYaTru1oSRQ&s=19

End of an era

1 Like

Does this kill it, or do air days not really matter anymore?

1 Like

Must have a lot of faith in Grimsburg, but it does star and is executive producer by Don Draper.

Johnny here presents a lot of my thoughts about why Scott Pilgrim is the antithesis to everything wrong with the current remake culture of movies that we see right now.

The video is incredibly spoiler heavy, so I encourage you not to watch this if you are planning on watching the show. On the flip side there has been very little chatter here about it and I would like to see more people getting their eyes on it, so if your attitude is that you are planning to skip the show because you don’t want another Scott Pilgrim retread, I urge you to watch the first few minutes of this even if you will have a few things spoiled. It is better to have a couple beats spoiled to pique your curiosity than to not watch this at all.

Ive sat with it for a few days now, and my enjoyment of it has climbed at least a couple notches on reflection.

2 Likes

Black Friday

Max $2.99 x 6 months
Hulu .99 x 12 months
Peacock $1.99 x 12 months (I think 6 or 12)
Paramount Plus $2.99 x 3 months
Disney $2 a month on top of Hulu.

Ads on all of these

1 Like

I’m really surprised to say this, but I think Disney+ is the only one I wouldn’t buy.

1 Like

Lotsa touchy feely on the jury. Lookin like a good read.

I agree. It’s only one I don’t have

1 Like

Three episodes in, and I think it’s a noticeable step down from S1.

E2 in particular was not very good.

2 Likes

twasnt. Three was better and had a strong cliffhanger

1 Like

E3 was better, but two things bothered me - one minor and one major.

1. Invincible just goes off to some place a week away because some random bug dude shows up? I know it’s necessary to move along the plot to get him to meet up with Omni-man, but that setup was pretty weak.

2. The entirety of that support group storyline. We’re acting like the wife of the most famous (now infamous) superhero in the world would be an unknown person, especially to other superhero spouses? Unless I’m missing something, that was absurd. It would be going to a meeting of world leader spouses and wondering who this black lady named Michelle could be.

1 Like

The first episode of the new season of Fargo was excellent.

Only thing I remember about the last season was Chris Rock and Jessie Buckley so hopefully it keeps up.

(The whole time, though, I was like, “Oh, Elizabeth Olsen, I like her, she’s good, right?” and only later when I looked it up I saw it was Juno Temple from Ted Lasso, hehe. Maybe blinded from seeing her go from something so treacly sweet (but with swears!) that you have to check your blood sugar after each episode to this.)

1 Like

Episode 2 is solid as well and we get Jon Hamm, digging these first two episodes way more than S4

1 Like