The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Thats an interesting take that I didn’t consider… however, we have been in the neighborhood of increasingly adult related animation over the past decade or so. There is some nudity in Scavengers Reign too, and hell, even in things like Inside Job and Big Mouth of all things , but I haven’t heard anyone mention it as a sticking point. Do you think there is something inherently different about it being an easternized style of animation over the more western animation of the ones I mentioned above?

1 Like

Without any real evidence to support this (I’m just shootin’ from the hip with some hot takes here) I do think this matters. Since the 90s, “weirdo anime nudity guy” was a character in high schools and college campuses. I am speculating that this stereotype still has some legs with a good portion of the population.

I am often wrong about things and I hope I’m wrong here - the art in this show is damned beautiful and I would love to see it catch on and start a trend. Another factor working in this show’s favor is that the themes on identity are very relevant.

2 Likes

Fazekas explained that while the scene is “insane, weird, ridiculous and funny, it’s about a girl getting coerced into sex which a lot of the women in my writer’s room either know someone that’s happened to, that’s happened to themselves while they’re in college. So that was an actual real terrible thing.”

“Lizze was constantly coming to the shop. When we started building that thing, she’d come in and size it up with her to make sure that we were in the right ballpark,” said Penman. “No pun intended.”

Amen. Really enjoying a top-knotch season. The whole episode last night was chef’s kiss.

:white_check_mark:auction back and awesome
:white_check_mark:katurah gleefully reacting to Bruce’s f-up and misfortune
:white_check_mark:probst going crocodile Dundee on the bag of rice (need a gif)
:white_check_mark:Bruce wins the immunity
:white_check_mark:late rally to switch the vote which seemed more like the standard red herrings
:white_check_mark:the blindside actually happens and completely and totally blindsided Kelly
:white_check_mark:epic stunned reaction “what the hell guys”
:white_check_mark:(in my warped brain) Caleb and Kelly ‘shipping at Ponderosa

Gotta be in the top 10 episodes all time and prolly the best of the past few seasons. Caleb winning his shot on the dark was pretty special. This ep blew that out of the water.

Will be all in on Dalton Ross and RHAP this week.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/ayeejuju/status/1725181581478998319

1 Like

I too am enjoying this season more than recent ones. Also like the 90-minute episodes.

1 Like

Some positive animation news today

1 Like

4 eps into the new Scott Pilgrim.

Its great! I really like the direction they went with the story, and that some of the twists and turns weren’t spoiled for me.

Protip: Don’t read about it beforehand. There are some major deviations from the movie, so its not a simple 1 to 1 redo.

1 Like

Ringer’s Prestige TV podcast has a really good recap of this week’s The Curse. Sean Fennessey and Joanna Robinson this week. Wasn’t really sure how I felt about S01E02, but jumping into that podcast directly after was helpful to framing it.

1 Like

The Curse

An alleged curse disturbs the relationship of a newly married couple as they try to conceive a child while co-starring on their problematic new HGTV show, Flipanthropy.

S1E1

I’ve seen a lot of shit, but I’ve never seen anything like this.

An intense and intensely unique experience. I will watch the rest of this once the series is complete.

https://twitter.com/screentime/status/1725611913281671663?t=_36ec_qHT-fJOqg2V2Xt_w&s=19

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/1725634549840035911?t=dIqPnFwa4GaXFqKEc3G0iw&s=19

4 Likes

Only 10% as awkward as the show. Which is still very awkward.

Please continue with updates like this. They may prove helpful to me later!

1 Like

Will do. I think this is the first time I’ve specifically heard Sean/Jo as a one-on-one combo, though they usually have Jo on The Big Picture with Sean and Amanda when superhero stuff comes out.

Joanna is for some reason a lot more compelling to me when she turns up on non-nerd stuff with people who aren’t Mallory Rubin. And I love Mal, but the combo just doesn’t seem to click for me. But Jo’s very best stuff on The Ringer IMO is when she’s covered Succession, White Lotus, and now I really enjoyed hearing her drop in on The Curse. They made it sound like they would be mixing and matching combos of Bill, Sean, and Jo throughout the season.

2 Likes

That’s great. I am a huge fan of Jo, but I need to also be a fan of her co hosts lol. It has been a real pleasure to follow her over the years.

Oh shit, does each episode always hit Paramount two days early? I know what Im watching tonight

Yes. Midnight on Thursday I believe.

(Leads with a spoiler from the middle of episode 2.) Tremendous stuff.

Good Tv day then. I got this tonight and watched the full series of Scott Pilgrim today.

Its delightful by the way. Nearly every character comes off as more likeable than the original, except for possibly Young Neil, which is a really weird thing to type, but I think its true.

Ramona and Scott get the bulk of not coming off like horrible people like they do in the live action.

Pleasantly surprised, and really enjoyed it. High recommend.

1 Like

Woah Brooke Burke replaces Allison Hannigan on Fool Us

1 Like