The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Yes

Also also impregnated her. Her son was born with syphilis, was deformed and died. Show does a good job at a bit of a slight of hand because at the beginning it implies that it’s the upper class English guy who killed her son in some way and that’s why she’s getting revenge.

4 Likes

Yup. Think of the end of the England episode. It doesnt explicitly show it(part of the genious of the story telling imo) but when she moves her legs together with her hand at the very end of that scene laying on the floor it’s the giveaway.

1 Like

The English

My major knock on it is just the amount of green screening that happened. They tried to cover it up but the lighting was so flat that there’s no way a lot of the scenes could have happened outside. Green screening feels extremely antithetical to a western. I know cost wise the only reason why old school Westerns got made is because the studios had huge plots of undeveloped land and they were cheap to make, and that situation doesn’t exist anymore, so cost saving tricks have to happen, but it feels odd.

My other knock is

Just a slight knock at the very ending. Melmont agrees to meet up with them, with one of them carrying a rifle and then does his villain trick even letting Cornelia put a gun in his mouth to prove that she couldn’t kill him.

As an aside that seemed odd, she was shown to be hesitant to kill people, but came around to being rather open to killing people if needed be, and killing the guy who killed your son and eventually yourself seems like a no brainer.

Anyways, he seemed like a smart guy so letting them two waltz up to him without knowing where the other people were in the cabin just seemed dumb.

1 Like

Both are fair. It’s still one of the best short TV series ever. Maybe the best. Hard for me to think of another mini-series(or whatever you want to call a 4-8 episode self contained series) that comes close.

1 Like

Right like in the same way Harrison Ford once cut a major line by telling the director, 'Yeah but I can say that with a look," The English does a huge amount of storytelling with a glance or a reaction and what is left unsaid that says more than any dialogue.

Incredible feat of storytelling for there to be so much subtlety that is easy to grasp like low hanging fruit.

2 Likes

do you have any info on this?

This interview with the writer director specifically about the production doesn’t mention it at all.

This is about the search for a location (blurred bc maybe a little spoilerish),

Wide open spaces

Authenticity also required the perfect location to replicate the Kansas and Wyoming setting. But where exactly to film was the next step on the agenda. “First of all, we looked at America, obviously, it’s a Western,” says producer Colin Wratten. “We looked at Santa Fe, New Mexico, we also looked at Calgary and filming in Canada as an option.”

The other obvious option was Spain.

and this is about the specific camera and lenses used, which may have contributed to what you’re responding to in the look of the show

But the location was perfect for capturing the classic Western look. “There’s rarely anything to see with more cinematic beauty than a mid-twentieth century Technicolor Western,” says Blick “We engaged with that. We shot 2.39:1 CinemaScope using a limited selection of Panavision Anamorphic lenses. On location, cinematographer Arnau Valls Colomer and I scheduled for the late afternoon when the dust was up and the sun low: Back-lit by sun and front-lit by heavy arc light, I found the results impressive, although it could be blinding to the actors.”

Camera positioning was also classic. “I didn’t want to move the camera, so spent a good deal of the time figuring out where best to place it so we wouldn’t have to,” says Blick. “It’s pretentious to say I picked this up off studying Kurosawa but so what, I did! And George Stevens. And Eastwood. And Anthony Mann.”

The camera chosen was the Sony Venice with Panavision Primo Anamorphic lenses. “We also use Live Grain, a software package which interacts with the light coming in through the lens of the camera that gives it a slightly more filmic feel,” says Wratten.

1 Like

I don’t have any information on it, it was more the way it felt. Some of it could be what’s mentioned there being back lit while also being front lit could be making my mind feel like the whole thing had an artificial feel to it.

Its $9.99 plan is dead. $6.99 ad supprted plan still there. Netflix said most customers pay for the $15.49 a month plan.

What are odds all streaming services end up $19.95 w commercials?

1 Like

I think the monthly price will sort of track the cost of a single prime time first run movie ticket. It’s such an easy way to frame for the customer while still making streaming seem like a bargain.

1 Like

Yeah, the guys on The Watch keep giving this show a tonguebath, so I went ahead and started watching. Good first episode.

Episode 5 just dropped. Have to wait until tomorrow but I am still in.

Sopranos S4 E10:

Chris’ drug intervention devolved into a hilarious clusterfuck as expected.

2 Likes

I said my piece Chrissy!

Top 10 scene for me.

1 Like

“Hit him again!’”

star trek: strange new worlds is so great. the best star trek ever!

3 Likes

^This

I’ve only seen season 1 of strange new worlds, waiting for all of season 2 to be out to binge, but based on season 1 those takes seem extremely hot. I wouldn’t say season 1 was better than the average of the first 3-4 seasons of DS9, which is to say it was still pretty good, but you guys are potentially blaspheming atm.

HQ Trivia doc on HBO Max (“Glitch”) was interesting, lots I didn’t know.

What was it barkin?

1 Like

On ep 3 of the new Steven Soderbergh series Full Circle on MAX about a kidnapping gone wrong and so far it is among his very best work. Look at this cast WTF.

Dennis Quaid is delivering such a surprisingly good performance that I didn’t realize that was him until two episodes into the show.

2 Likes