The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Was crazy to learn the shot all the episodes at the same time and they would do like a whole season of joust at once.

Yah and the one that seemed crazy to me and probably wouldnā€™t fly today was human cannonball which is just the contenders slamming full speed into the Gladiators over and over. Fuck doing that event repeatedly for an entire day.

Human Cannonball was the worst event.

There was really no skill for the competitors in it.

Yah, unless youā€™re a cheapshot artist like that one contender who was trying to throw forearm shivers to the head, then itā€™s just a completely random event which just favors heavier contenders.

Or the dude that ended Malibuā€™s career going feet first. Holy shit that bump he took

1 Like

I blame the organizers rather than the contenders for putting up such a ridiculously (and obviously) unsafe environment for the competition.

Yah, that initial Joust with the falling trap doors was a ridiculous idea. Iā€™m surprised noone got more seriously hurt.

Do we think Gladiators wouldā€™ve continued to be successful if they had ponied up the cash to keep the core group together? I kinda feel like the thing had run its course and was gonna slowly start dying out regardless of what they tried.

Yeah I think it would have died off either way. Here in d/fw it always aired after SNL so it had a really weird time slot. I donā€™t even have an image of it where I was probably sober.

1 Like

Well I think it never actually ā€œdied,ā€ it just evolved into American Ninja Warrior.

Speaking of I am just skimming stuff about both shows and thereā€™s this guy named Evan Dollard who was on both shows?!?! LOLOLOL appearing in American Gladiators and then American Ninja Warrior (he qualified in multiple seasons!!!) is a badge of honor Iā€™d carry to my grave.

@Riverman this oneā€™s for you

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/david-zaslav-gq-article-18186324.php

Since the link preview isnā€™t working hereā€™s a taste:

David Zaslav kills everything he touches, including GQ

SFGATE columnist Drew Magary unpacks the latest in the saga of the HBO-slayer

Maybe Zaslav was able to get Welch to back down from public criticism, but my bosses here at SFGATE wonā€™t be similarly cowed. So, for the permanent record, let me state all of this again flatly: David Zaslav is an eel who sucks at his job. Heā€™s destroying HBO. Heā€™s destroyed what bare credibility the DC Universe had left with moviegoers. Heā€™s forced GQ to willingly debase itself. Heā€™s destroyed TCM. And while he couldnā€™t get Licht to destroy CNN, heā€™ll find some other pair of docksiders to finish the job.

5 Likes

Beautiful. I love Drew Magaryā€™s writing. Same guy who writes ā€œWhy your team sucksā€ every August.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/netflix-alternate-realities-charlie-brooker.html

What weā€™ve learned about the series makes it sound somewhat similar to Black Mirror, though with what seems like a different twist.

According to our information, Alternate Realities will explore different dimensions and parallel universes. Each episode of Charlie Brookerā€™s upcoming Netflix series will present unique characters and stories, offering viewers a thought-provoking journey into the unknown.

2 Likes

Finished the Gladiators documentary. It was entertaining but disposable, just like the show was.

While the documentary didnā€™t mention it, Wikipedia says they had 32 gladiators over the years and 5 have since died. So unfortunately not that much better than the pro wrestlers of that era.

Iā€™m in.

1 Like

Gladiators doc (can I really spoil a documentary?

I want to know what people think of the dinner theater era

Wow I would have guessed less than 10. I think I can probably still name some of them? Turbo, Laser, Ice, Nitroā€¦ thatā€™s all I got.

Horrendous idea. Would have gone though (and probably enjoyed myself).

:+1::+1::+1:

I think he might be feeling kinda boxed in by an unintentional Black Mirror cinematic universe branding around near-future technology gone wrong, such as when he tries episodes set in the past or not dependent on disruptive technology and people tell the literal creator of the show ā€œhrmmmmm but actshually thatā€™s not Black Mirror.ā€

This way he can say listen mfkers itā€™s an alternate history show so STFU

Canā€™t believe that people complain about the American Gladiators safety record, I always felt that the implicit promise was that the loser would die.

1 Like

Monitoring the progress of the wine bottle like it in an hourglass to hell - yeah that hits home, Christ