The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

A BAFTA nominee :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like
1 Like

Beyond the Sea was a massive snoozefest, pretty poor season for me.

1 Like

Loch Henry

7/10

Pretty good except for the LOL of Piaā€™s death, but I donā€™t get how this is a Black Mirror episode at all.

Beyond the Sea
8/10

Premise was stupid (I have no idea why this was set in the 60s or 70s or whatever), but once you got past that the story and acting were quite good.

Mazey Day
2/10

Was digging this a lot for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of it. Thenā€¦sheā€™s a fucking werewolf? What the hell? I donā€™t feel like watching Waldo Moment or Ashley Too again, but this might be worse than both of those.

I struggled w both loch Henry and beyond the sea but I am going to rewatch them as I was having a hard time focusing.

The performances in Beyond the Sea are unreal. Watch their faces.

Beyond the Sea was extremely good.

Some of you are bad at TV.

Also, LH was clearly another ā€œcontent over decencyā€ take that Brooker seems to want to hit the audience with a giant hammer repeatedly.

Beyond the sea was great for the first hour and ten minutes, on pace to be one of the top teir BM episodes (currently comprised of Entire History of You/Be Right Back). Last scene was completely off and ruined it.

2 Likes

Addressing when Beyond the Sea was set:

My guess is that it was set in the 60ā€™s/70ā€™s or whenever for two reasons:

1. Aesthetics - the contrast with the advanced technology is cool.

2. Society was more fascinated with astronauts back then. They were celebrities. Plus, the Manson-like cult fits into that time period.

1 Like

The Bear gets 3 Michelin Stars. Could not stop watching.

4 Likes

I told my brother the new season dropped and he told me he already watched it all.

1 Like

Tim Robinson memes are infintely more funny now that Ive seen the show.

6 Likes

I thought Joan is Awful was quite good. Loch Henry less so, but still enjoyable (I kept expecting another ā€œtwistā€ at the end). Mazey Day: meh. Beyond the Sea was fine imo, but

I know that being nitpicky is a terrible way to approach this show. Buuuuut why was it so easy for Hartnettā€™s character to jump down into Aaron Paulā€™s robot thingy, but they couldnā€™t make another Josh Hartnett robot thingy or something? During the whole development of this thing there wasnā€™t a prototype Hartnett could come in to? This must have been explained somewhere and I missed it.

Also was there no mission control / somebody overseeing the obvious foolishness of having Hartnett come down into Aaron Paulā€™s robot?

Demon 79
8.5/10

At least they gave away that it was going to be horror at the beginning. Totally un-Black Mirror like, but I enjoyed watching it.

So yeah, the whole season was like a fever dream where really only 1 episode was truly Black Mirror. The rest wereā€¦something else.

Oh yeah, and the soundtrack to this episode was full of fucking bangers.

1 Like

The costumes were amazing too lol

3 Likes

I spied Topo Chico in Carmā€™s fridge

Joan is Awful or Beyond the Sea?

Joan is Awful. Beyond the Sea had elements of it, but it being set in the alternate history past doesnā€™t really fit.

1 Like

Does it help the tech premise angle to know that Demon 79 is

a real movieā€¦in the Black Mirror universe shown on Streamberry

Itā€™s a Red Mirror production

Not really. Thatā€™s a bit of a stretch.

Still enjoyed it though. Iā€™d watch a full series of Red Mirror.

1 Like