The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I think they’re all so fucked up you could diagnose them a variety of disorders.

1 Like

all narcissists imo

1 Like

We Don’t Smoke For Enjoyment. We Smoke To Proclaim Our Faith.

2 Likes

Black Mirror Season 6

Joan Is Awful

I quite enjoyed this. One thing I like about Black Mirror is the pacing, the episode is just 55 minutes so things happen pretty quickly once the 10 minute set-up is done. This feels pretty relevant with all the ChatGPT stuff happening lately, we’re obviously barely even scratching the surface of what AI generated “content” can look like in the future.

I didn’t see the twist coming that Annie Murphy was the “real” Salma Hayek one level below, I enjoyed the meta aspect of it too. Short, quick, to the point, I’m glad this wasn’t a 4 hour mini-series. Good stuff, looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

1 Like

Black Mirror Season 6

Loch Henry

Didn’t like this one as much, and don’t have that much to say about it. If I gave the previous episode praise for being quick to get to the point, this was certainly more of a slow burn. Which is fine, but it didn’t work for me with this story and these characters. Not even the twist or the ending could save this one for me I’m afraid.

1 Like

Black Mirror Season 6

Beyond The Sea

Well shit that was a dark ending. I could barely watch the last 5-10 minutes, waiting for what was about to happen. For most of it I thought it’d end with him killing the Cliff up in space and taking his place down on earth, but killing the wife makes more sense I guess.

3 Likes

Not clicking the spoilers, but how has the quality been?

1 Like

Pretty good, on par with the last season I’d say. I’ve liked 2/3 so far.

2 Likes

Oooof. I recall last season being rough. It was the first season I didn’t like. Other seasons could be hit and miss but I thought last year was pretty bad.

Trailer for this year got me excited though. Looking forward to starting it.

The Crowded Room (contains likey future spoilers)

The freaking show spoils itself in the opening credit when it shows the book the series is based on.

Episode 1 “Joan is Awful” is excellent.

1 Like

I thought Striking Vipers and Smithereens were pretty decent. Not at the level of the best episodes, but certainly enjoyable.

The Miley Cyrus episode was really bad though (not because of her, the script was just horrendous).

1 Like

Loch Henry

Same. Thank christ they didn’t open with ep2 LMAO I’d have felt very differently about watching the rest of the season. Ep1 is a banger tho!

1 Like

Not done with it yet but I have really enjoyed it.

Edit: also shout out to “Joan” wearing a Padre Island shirt

1 Like

Loch Henry not really spoilers

Was recently watching industry so when I saw Myha’la Herrold she looked so familar. So funny while watching industry I looked her up to see if she had done anything else, and was almost nothing. Also was loch Henry on streamberry in Joan is Awful?

2 Likes

I did a double take at first because I wasn’t sure if Joan was played by Stef Sanjati.

But of course on another fictive level…it was her :astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

1 Like

Holy shit this episode. 10/10 but do not watch if you want to smile.

Insanely good performances from Aaron Paul, Josh Hartnett, Kate Mara, and Rory Culkin.

This is my favorite kind of Black Mirror episode. No idea where it was going. Lots of moments where it seemed predictable and then swerved left for an even bigger payoff.

2 Likes

Some reading for season 6 watchers.

Never would have guessed Joan is Awful was based on

The Dropout podcast and what Charlie Brooker imagines it was like for Elizabeth Holmes to see her life dramatized over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

On Medium or Substack, I watched a bunch and read a bunch and wrote a bunch about Black Mirror season 6.

1 Like

“Paragraph eight can suck my dick”

Com-puta

Lol, great delivery

The Wish from Buffy the Vampire Slayer did it better though.

• Anya: [ as Anyanka ] You trusting fool! How do you know the other world is any better than this?
  • Rupert Giles: Because it has to be.
2 Likes