The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Same with Perry Mason S1 imo and also the latest season of The Boys

1 Like

Yup.

Just like some movies should have been a short film or episode of Black Mirror. Just listened to the Flop House podcast episode on Donā€™t Worry Darling and that was a great point if they were going to keep the ā€œtwist.ā€

Iā€™m kinda nervous though to check out the old movie version of The Handmaidā€™s Tale, even though the show hit the lol pacing phase for me in season three.

Every show should just be a 30 second TikTok.

3 Likes

I wish.

1 Like

The trouble isnā€™t the art. Itā€™s the consumer. Us. We have the attention spans of gnats and have been conditioned to think that ā€œgenre shows = action action action!ā€

I guarantee you that shows like TLOU have zero ā€œfillerā€ episodes. The difference is, we fail at recognizing emotional action as action, when more often happens in the slower, character-driven episodes that affects the overall story than the ones with hordes of zombies overrunning the towns or giant fights between good and evil, etc.

What could have been added to the finale to make it not feel rushed? Play the game and youā€™ll see that what took 3-4 hours to get through really only has about 15-20 minutes of actual story. They already added 10 minutes of stuff not in the game, and I thought the way they did the hospital scene was brilliant for the television medium.

His nameā€¦is Mark Kermode! I think he has a TikTok :face_with_monocle:

Maybe split into two episodes, one where there is a clearer connection to Ellieā€™s final state of mind from her state of mind at the end of the last episode. It seems like she went: traumatized ā†’ pets a giraffe ā†’ not traumatized a little too quick. Perhaps a more natural pacing would be to have Ep 9 flesh out Ellieā€™s dealing with the end of Ep 8, and the great daddy/daughter stuff. Then Ep 10 is them encountering the Fireflies and maybe expand on that so weā€™re not so in the dark whatā€™s going on with them.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not the audienceā€™s problem, thatā€™s the guys writing the showā€™s problem. Source material doesnā€™t have enough story to make the ending feel properly paced? Figure it out writers, thatā€™s why you make the big bucks. And if they canā€™t figure it out?

434c2abf-e184-4201-846a-d5f28d24aa01_text

6 Likes

Watched the Last of Us finale, was pretty underwhelmed. Others above have said it better than me, but it felt stupid and just a mess. I can definitely understand if people with a closer connection to the source material appreciated it more, but it fell quite flat here and was the weakest episode I think.

Overall the show has been ok but nothing special imo, 7 out of 10 or something. A bit overhyped for sure, but Iā€™ll watch season 2.

7 Likes

Given that there appears to have been nothing about Willow itt since this February 5th post, it will come as little surprise to many of you to learn that Disney has canceled it after one season.

Season three premiere of Superman and Lois is impossibly good. How on (an alternate) Earth is a CW show this cool?

Yeah, I was hoping Williow would be okay but every review says itā€™s terrible.

Good week for TV fans, Ted Lasso S3 and Lucky Hank both premiering this week

Ted was good.

Was willing to give Willow another chance. Itā€™s opportunity and itā€™s curse was not having a literary pedigree. Free to be different and unexpected but itā€™s gotta make sense. They didnā€™t lean fully into the whimsy enough.

1 Like

2 Likes

I tried the first episode of Wheel of Time a while ago but it didnā€™t stick the first time, but I went through it the last week and I donā€™t know if this is a hot take or not but itā€™s good imo. Iā€™d say a step or two better than Rings of Power, which I thought was ok, but like a step below The Witcher. I wouldnā€™t say the characters stand out much except for the blue channeler lady, but they do fine with the material. I think something about the shadow city at the end of episode 2 hooked me, between the cool chanty music and the spacious but desolate purple architecture.

I did find it funny that (big spoiler donā€™t click),

while the show does a good job of keeping the suspense of who the Dragon Reborn is going to be, I was thinking the whole time that surely it wouldnā€™t be the Anakin Skywalker clone

but yeah it totally is.

Not a book reader though, looks like this one was not a hit with them.

1 Like

Nice.

I think itā€™s kinda cool that as representation for a genre expands, our experience of the quality of a previous offering can shift from bad to good. Like sometimes something is amazing because itā€™s one of a kind, but other times things seem kinda mediocre until you understand nah that is cream of the crop.

1 Like

Show is decent. Iā€™m a pretty big hater of the books (read like 7 of them when I was in college before being like ā€œthis sucksā€ and ditching them) and the problems with characterization are inherited from the books.

I donā€™t think most of the changes are a big deal but I did think it was weird that the candidates for the Dragon Reborn included the girls. There are big plot reasons why the Dragon Reborn has to be a man and those reasons are still present in the show. I guess they were trying to create more of a mystery around it but itā€™s just going to look incoherent in light of later seasons.

1 Like

I had no experience with the source material but the show was alright, Iā€™ll watch season 2.