The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Joel was also very sketical of the Fireflies in genera.

Interesting I hadnā€™t thought of that, but yeah I could see it. Iā€™m assuming the second game will probably get 2 seasons, I really wish they had stretched the first game out to 2 seasons but maybe it wouldnā€™t have worked as well idk. Overall I went into the show with extremely low expectations and they surprised me with a really good season of TV.

1 Like

TLOU + Poker Face nursing home ep

I thought it was interesting how in both the Riley episode and the 2 old ladies from Poker Face (released almost in the same week) they show these rebels as being cool and exciting and fighting for a noble cause before it turns out that theyā€™re uhh into bombing innocent people. I canā€™t decide if this depiction is:

1. Heavy handed writing in service of a plot twist/moral dilemma
    and/or
  2. Institutional propaganda
    and/or
  3. An accurate description of the general reality of Establishment vs anti-Establishment forces

I think I would go with number 3. Everyone is terrible, there are no innocent people. Uplifting!

1 Like

This guy nails it for me. Exactly how I see the ending.

1 Like

yeah, i find myself a lot less sympathetic to the Fireflies than conventional wisdom might have it. I basically 100% agree with your take on this, but it seems we might be in the minority, lol

https://twitter.com/collider/status/1635373353514184705?s=46&t=RKQIqRrKzVps835SSEmebA

7 Likes

Watched TLOU finale. Felt like Joel was on a speed run of the last chapter.

4 Likes

This was a great quote from creator about LoU finale

People have asked why would Joel do that if could save the world. I always answer, he did save the world.

Itā€™s as if people didnā€™t watch episode 3!

3 Likes

Wait, what? How have I not heard of this?! Justified is one of my all-time faves, canā€™t wait for this

Yep. FEDRA is trying to restore some semblance of order and stability while using the same heavy handed militarized police tactics and us vs. them mentality that is problematic with our current state of policing.

The fireflies plan seems to be

1. Blow shit up and kill FEDRA
  2. ???
  3. Profit.

Yeah this bothered me. Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve played the game but I remember spending a lot of time sneaking and hiding from various soldiers waiting for the perfect moment to strike. It was pretty difficult and intense. Joel just went full Leeroy Jenkins and wiped them out in like 45 seconds despite being outmanned and outgunned. At least make it look difficult for FFS.

Happy birthday to the incomparable Adrian Zmed!

1 Like

I still havenā€™t seen it but literally every HBO seriesā€™ first season Iā€™ve slogged through the past few years has felt like this to me. This 8-10 episode nonsense needs to stop.

Loved him in Bachelor Party

Switched the game to easy for e9

4 Likes

I am all aboard the 10 episode season boat.

What I hate is HBO drawing out the pacing of episodes 3 through 9 to the point you wonder if anything will ever happen and then they kick it up to Fast and Furious pacing in the last episode. Game of Thrones refined this strategy to perfection all the way to that insufferable final season/episode.

3 Likes

A lot of these series should be compressed into a single 2 hour episode imo.

2 Likes

Yellowjackets did this as well. A couple strong episodes to start followed by a dull grind in the middle. I almost bailed on the show but it picked up again in the last two or three and hooked me in for season 2 (Iā€™m an easy mark).

In the case of Yellowjackets they probably would have been better served cutting it down to 6 episodes.

2 Likes

a small takeaway about TLOS

based off of reading this The Last of Us: The HBO showā€™s Season 1 finale makes a disastrous choice.

that has a lot of complaints that are mentioned here, that Joel just mows down people, but I think why the ending didnā€™t hit as hard as the gameā€™s did was because 20 years ago long form storytelling whose protagonist makes a morally ambiguous choice as the gamesā€™ final act wasnā€™t as big of a thing in big budget games. It is / was the bread and butter of prestige TV though. So for a game to do that, to have the player invest the hours and then ā€œforceā€ them to take Joelā€™s course of action and then the put the coda on it on the final cut scene was impactful storytelling for a game, but for a prestige TV show a bit of been there done that.

Thatā€™s not to say it wasnā€™t a bad show, just how different the endings hit between the game and the TV show.

2 Likes