The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

Finished it too. Now the question is do I start reading the books and get disappointed when season 2 comes out or do I wait?

Ok just saw on imdb season 2 in 2021. The books it is.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only ever read the first set of short stories. Going through the Witcher series of books is on my to-do list.

The RT score is weird. Last I checked, critics give it 58%, audiences give it 90%. idk if that means we get a season 2 or not.

Yeah the Witcher is pretty goddamn good.

The audience for this show is likely to be the kind of crowd thatā€™s into thin plot and lots of boobs, though.

1 Like

Have any of you seen The Laundromat on Netflix? Watched it last night and found it pretty interesting. Itā€™s a movie that dives into the Panama Papers in a part comical/satirical, part serious manner. Decent cast (Meryl Streep, Antonio Banderas, Gary Oldman, David Schwimmer, Sharon Stone) and a unique style.

1 Like

The Witcher is nakedly awful. WTF.

What did you like about it? Help me appreciate it through your eyes.

I didnt know the books, the story at all and didnt play the games so far. So I watched it because of the name. Was it superb? Not really. I find some of the repetitive facial impressions cringeworthy. But it was good enough that I sticked with it and watched the season within 2 nights. A little hard to follow sometimes because the timeline was confusing for me.
It interested me enough that I will read the books and thats a good thing for me. After that I probably will be a lot more critical about it similar to GoT and Harry Potter.

1 Like

Yenā€™s character seems a lot less obnoxious now that I know her backstory.

Honestly, the Witcher 3 game is probably the best way to get into the Witcher universe. Not great gameplay, but magnificent world building and storytelling imo. Plus it sort of captures the feel of riding from town to town taking care of monsters and hauntings and stuff for villagers.

Trying to find classic Disney movies for my kid that arenā€™t chock full of racism and/or sexism is tough.

My wife just started today. The opening tutorial is a lot of fun

1 Like

Rescuers Down Under is a great movie thats pretty light on both. I mean, Zsa Zsa Gabor is in it, so there is a bit of reference to kinda ditsy women, but her character is pretty badass over all

1 Like

Watched it a couple weeks back, wasnā€™t bad but Iā€™m not a big fan of the constant 4th wall breaking

2 Likes

Which book is better to start with, Blood of Elves or Sword of Destiny? Apparently SoD is listed as Vol. 1 some places, but BoE appears to be the first part of the main Saga.

Last Wish is the usual starting point.

1 Like

What in the actual fuck is this:

Did these Cavill cavillers even watch the show? It is at worst pretty good, and I generally donā€™t like fantasy. 6 episodes in and enjoying it very much. It does not aspire to the same ponderousness as GoT, and thatā€™s one of the better things about it. I havenā€™t watched a lot of Dr. Who but Iā€™m getting that vibe from it, in a good way.

2 Likes

Finished S1 of The Righteous Gemstones and was finally able to put my finger on why I havenā€™t really enjoyed it:

It reminds me too much of the Trump presidency. Sure, itā€™s fun to laugh at the sheer stupidity and utter lack of introspection of these people, but at the end of the day they skate by, virtually unscathed, while wrecking the lives of everyone around them. Itā€™s the equivalent of laughing at Trumpā€™s 3rd-grade intellect and the 2nd-grade intellects of his followers, while heā€™s eroding democracy and getting rich doing it

Who am I even supposed to root for?

The closest candidate is Gideon, and Iā€™m rooting for him to rob his family of millions until he lets me down and does the equivalent of the Dems finally gaining power and using it to ā€œrestore norms.ā€

And whatā€™s the end-game of the series? Redemption? If redemption doesnā€™t include financial ruin, jail, and an incurable disease or two, then Iā€™m not interested.

Shit I loooved this movie as a kid and had totally forgotten about it, good rec

Why does the main character sound like heā€™s angry whispering all his lines? Is this an ASMR sword and sorcery thing?

Even very good fantasy is always considered low-brow entertainment (except GoT for some reason). Perhaps rightly so. I guess Iā€™m not too surprised the critics didnā€™t like it.

The guy from the video game had a really gruff voice, Cavill is trying to imitate that.

My biggest disappointment is that they didnā€™t give him snake eyes, but I guess the effects budget was too small to do that in every scene.

I fell asleep during the first episode and may give it another shot, but I did my time in the D&D mines growing up and am a bit over the sword and sorcery genre so youā€™ll need to add more than superfluous tits to make it interesting.

1 Like