The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

nope still The Shield

1 Like

Watched episode one of Chappelleā€™s Show for the first time in at least 15 years with my wife (she had never seen it). Black white supremacist skit absolutely holds up and is even more amazing to watch today. Just incredible stuff.

6 Likes

Close between the two. Shield has he single best ending of tv ever.

The first episode of the Shield is pretty amazing too tbh.

2 Likes

Holy shit I just found the best reason to say Fuck you Netflix of all time.

My wife and I are watching Norm Macdonald has a show, and it is BRILLIANT. It is so fucking funny.

Netflix cancelled it after 1 season. Fuck you Netflix.

1 Like

There was a whole lot of excitement in that fuck you!

2 Likes

Haha yeah. There are really only like three episodes I consider mediocre or worse. Even the early stuff before it gets really good is still pretty entertaining cop fare, good at mixing up your sympathies too.

Yeah after watching the monologue we ended up watching a bunch. Itā€™s funny that itā€™s actually a fairly inconsistent show but the highs are so good it doesnā€™t matter. Also a bunch of stuff that nobody, not even Chappelle, could get away with on television today.

Oh, yeah, I watched most of that. I enjoyed it, but itā€™s basically just his YouTube show brought to Netflix.

I have completed my third watching of Justified. Thoughts:

Season Ranking:
One
Three
Two
Six
Four
Five

IMO season five is almost bad sometimes, mostly because I cannot suspend my disbelief enough for Michael Rapaport to be plausible as a cajun or whatever the hell heā€™s doing.

Aside from Raylan and Boyd, I believe much of Justifiedā€™s strength comes from its amazing cast of recurring characters: Wynn Duffy, Robert Quarles, Dewey Crowe, Limehouse, Wade Messer, Constable Bob Sweeney, etc.

I just watched it so recency bias, but I think that Justified has one of the best series finales ever.

4 Likes

He has a youtube show?

Yes, and itā€™s basically the Netflix show but better. Iā€™ll find a link.

1 Like

Awesome thank you

May as well start with the Late Great Super Dave:

1 Like

Season 1 of Take Us Home: Leeds United on Amazon Prime was an enjoyable watch, even without being a soccer fan.

Now Season 2 is available. Like everything else this year, both filming and the season itself was COVID interrupted, so itā€™s only two episodes long, but still worth watching.

I watched Mythicā€™s Quest a while back. Literally only apple series I have completely watched and I have had a free account for over a year.

I agree it was not great but okay. But I feel I owe Rob for always sunny.

Saw Fresh a number of years back, itā€™s a really good movie.

3 Likes

Somebody mentioned X Files in here a few weeks ago. I had watched maybe a season or so as a kid, but it was pretty late in the run when they introduced Doggett, and I had never seen probably 98% of the show.

Wife and I started watching a week or so ago. Weā€™re maybe 2/3 of the way through season 1. I am shocked at how well this holds up, and really loving it. Itā€™s hard to imagine a show about the FBI being produced today that isnā€™t filled with bootlicking, but the whole ethos of the show is like ā€œthe government lies to you, the FBI sucks, hereā€™s a cool alien storyā€. Also, about 16 episodes in and I think weā€™ve seen only one gun fired and it was at a man who was setting stuff on fire with his mind so, pretty justified IMO.

I was kind of expecting the first season at least to take a more skeptical tone - like, hereā€™s a bunch of weird shit that has some totally plausible, if unlikely, explanations. But no, really from the first episode it was obvious that aliens are real and all of this wild shit actually happens. A consequence of that clarity is that it is equally obvious that the shadowy government people are malicious and engaged in a coverup from day 1. Thereā€™s no plausible deniability for the cops in charge.

The only negative is itā€™s network TV and they were hour long episodes, so weā€™re looking at approximately 3000 hours of viewing left to watch it all, but in a show like this it kind of feels like it doesnā€™t matter. Like, if I get sick of it in season 3 and stop watching, I wonā€™t be left wondering what happened to spooky Mulder. I assume he just continues investigating x files every week.

5 Likes

209 EP so 209 hours, could be worse, also there is major story arc that comes in at some point and stays throughout, but thats not the best part of the shows as you can tell

1 Like

If youā€™re a King of the Hill fan, I encourage you to pony up a Patreon sub to Talking Simpsons and listen to their first season TalKing of the Hill recap. It is excellent. You also get the first season of Talking Futurama and the full series of Talking Critic.

1 Like

Glad you are enjoying it. Iā€™ve got Xfiles being in the top 5 most important TV series in the 90s. Its brilliant, and David and Gillian do some world class acting, especially in season 2 and 3.

2 Likes