The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

He literally claimed they were “incompetent messes”.

Sure lots of those in the top 1% of their professions.

I made no claim of their emotional status but frankly it’s also a really stupid critique with zero evidence to back it up.

How else would they be in situations to interact with the rest of the cast though? There are plenty of writers/shows that portray women in tough careers in poor ways, but you aren’t just going to have a 100% male cast. They’re there for romantic aspects/other reasons and they’re cast as a doctor because the show is set in a hospital.

Who was CJ a love interest for? How about Ainsley? Delores? There are countless others.

Not one person has cited any actual evidence of his supposed misogyny except ggoreo with the idea CJ and Donna didn’t advance fast enough.

Clovis is literally an annoying person

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/jacksonpublick/status/1303102212193705985?s=20

noooooo

1 Like

Got me. I correctly used the word a few times.

I’m a busy man, man.

I’ll stick by that, sure, because frankly I’ve been sick of the critical idea of the last decade that portraying bad people is automatically endorsement of bad people and all entertainment should have clear black-hats and white-hats and moral messages. I’m an adult, not a child.

I don’t generally extend that benefit of the doubt to Sorkin because he’s so persistent in his portrayal of women and extends that attitude in real life as well.

1 Like

I forget not everyone is unemployed going on 6 months.

2 Likes

The mad-as-hell, articulate-as-heck monologue is Sorkin’s favourite weapon. We saw it in his first movie, A Few Good Men , with Col. Jessup’s indelible “You can’t handle the truth.” We saw it often on The West Wing , not only from the U.S. president but also from his men: Think Oliver Babish’s “Truth isn’t a luxury.” We would’ve seen it on the NBC drama Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip had we watched it; so few did that it was cancelled after 22 episodes.

LOL

1 Like

It’s been forever since I’ve seen either, but I thought both The Newsroom and Studio 60 were fantastic pilots but poor shows overall.

1 Like

Still employed, I do watch a pretty fair amount of stuff but I’ve also got such a big backlog to work through. I mean, speaking of Fincher, I only finally got to Zodiac like last year.

Part of what made Studio 60 so unintentionally funny as a concept is Sorkin’s complete inability to care about the people he’s writing about unless they’re the center of the universe. You can pull that off writing about the actual White House, but it’s just hilarious to present a sketch comedy show with the same gravitas and import.

edit: Also note that this interview is from 2012 and so much of it consists of Sorkin waxing nostalgic for the days of Great Men and Great Broadcasters in the 40s and 50s-- literally wishing we could Make America Great Again.

1 Like

Lol now you are trying to pretend he is a MAGAer. You are so disingenuous.

This sure seems like a real misogynist.

Here is his letter to his daughters on election night 2016.

Finally started Lovecraft Country. First episode was a little hard to follow at first, as first episodes sometimes are, but overall it was quite good and very promising.

My wife’s reaction:

They didn’t need to put all the supernatural shit in there at the end. I was terrified enough for the main characters before that!

1 Like

Mike Tyson’s Mysteries also was axed which is equally tragic imho

I remember some speculation that this was a failure at concept because we know she’s pure evil, so how will an origin story possibly give us a character we want to follow? But that’s missing the point. Because we know she’s evil, we can forget about trying to perceive moral lessons from her actions and just delight in her being awful. Plus Sarah Paulson can do whatever she wants. I would not dare to try and stop her.

For true crime aficionados, Outcry, a Showtime documentary series, is excellent.

Class Action Park is an entertaining documentary recently released on HBOMax. It’s about Action Park, the notoriously dangerous water park that operated in NJ in the 80s. Hilarious, terrifying, and at times sad. Worth a watch if you like random stories of 80s insanity.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see it. I posted about the movie sometime last(?) year because I remember trips to and injuries from that place.

1 Like

Finally got around to watching The Bridge, a Nordic noir series that most have probably already seen.

Thoroughly enjoyable, it sets up the intriguing story line well which I expect will keep me guessing for a while yet, and which the strong characters are a good vehicle for.

1 Like

You’re going to love it. I knew a lot of the lure having grown up in NJ and being very in to the amusement industry at one time, but it was a bit before my time. Definitely let me know your reaction. There were several times I was laughing out loud at the absurdity of it all and the commentary from people who grew up going to the park.

2 Likes