The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

could be a good movie night movie

I worry folks won’t dole out the $7-$10, but otherwise agree it’d be a crowd pleaser

Stumbled across Lilyhammer on Netflix. Sylvio from the Sopranos meets Norway. A+ so far.

That’s when Linklater chimed in to offer some well-earned wisdom and sincere words of encouragement: “It does suck,” he told Kaufman

Hop into the time machine

In response to Kaufman describing the experience of personal criticism :grinning:

After lamenting that he couldn’t stop himself from reading what the internet had to say about it, Kaufman told the group about the most recent sting: In the comments section of the New York Times’ list of the year’s best movies, some random troll had cheered the omission of “I’m Thinking of Ending Things,” and a handful of other people had piled on in agreement. “You got what you wanted!” Kaufman wanted to say to those strangers, but he wisely saved his grievances for the more sympathetic crew that Netflix had rallied together for this online chat. “It’s not the critique,” he explained, “it’s when it gets weirdly personal. I sort of feel like ‘why do you hate me?’”

It came out in September and it’s only twenty-five minutes, but it’s written/directed by Nancy Meyers as the official COVID-focused conclusion to the Father of the Bride trilogy.

On September 25, Meyers published an essay in the New York Times in which she admits that the “pandemic brought me back to being a writer,” as she imagined how the Father of the Bride characters would be handling the outbreak. She wrote a screenplay for a three-quel that could be filmed remotely, got the original cast on board, and sent everyone lighting equipment, microphones, and iPhones.

1 Like

Amazon’s 2021 release Coming to America 2 with some new promotional images.

Coming 2 America photos

Still got this on the Unstuck Watch Party calendar for release day March 5, 2021.

3 Likes

Piracy is good news… for content producers!

This piracy boon will be good for media companies and content creators as well, even if they lose out on some ticket revenue and subscription dollars. In 2021, more people will watch films on their release date than ever before, because the Warner films will travel into homes through HBO Max and through the pirate network. Many pirates are also good fans, and they will heavily promote the Warner films they like on social media, which will drive up HBO Max subscriptions and increase the cultural value of whichever of the offerings they like best. Pirates could make some of the Warner 2021 films legends, by acting quickly to cement their reputations among movie lovers.

I have a long history of flexible digital content ethics, and this argument seems like a stretch even to me.

2 Likes

Who needs money when you can get EXPOSURE

4 Likes

Yay, The Office coming to Amazon Japan in January!

ezgif-1-45bfc179b9c5

2 Likes

During the NFL game tonight they ran a commercial for Name That Tune, which is apparently being rebooted.

I just wanted to throw out there that I’m the best at naming tunes after minimal initial notes. I’m stoked.

3 Likes

No, I’m the best!!!

Fuckkkk I loved this show hard.

I have secretly wanted to run our own version of that game, but lol at getting all of the audio clips together for a home game.

1 Like

I’m the literal worst at this, but it amazes me how people can tell you what song something is based on like the first note.

Along these lines, I think Shazam is the most amazing invention ever.

3 Likes

I’m also extremely excited for The Chase with Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer, and Brad Rutter as the chasers. Really hope that show hits it off big.

It seems like they are making up for the loss of money per sale by selling more things…

I would be surprised if it was easier than your thinking because of all the music programs out there, that and some midi files should get you close…

I don’t imagine it’s so much hard as tough and time consuming to gather the basic skills to create and assemble the clips into a coherent game experience.

Maybe I’m just too much of a perfectionist with this stuff. I also haven’t played piano in like twenty years because I don’t know how to not take it three hours a day kind of serious and just have fun playing :sob:

1 Like

I’ve been binging the Sopranos and I’m up to Season 5. I have to say that while I appreciate that this thread prepared me for the disturbing appearance of Gob Bluth, I am upset that the random cameo of Buster Bluth totally blindsided me. C’mon guys.

Seinfeld holds up pretty well. There’s some cringey gender stuff, but it’s old enough that you can shrug and say, “Different times.” The pilot is fine, not bad for a pilot, but things really pick up when Elaine joins in episode 2. There aren’t really any growing pains. A show like Parks and Rec took a full season to get into the swing of things. Not Seinfeld. A bunch of bangers in the first season.

1 Like

Agree.

Other shows you feel took a season or two to come into their own but then were amazing?

I thought the old Highlander: the series was never AMAZING but had consistent quality if it was your bag from season three on. Season one was terrible, only a few episodes in season two were much better. We do not speak of season six or The Raven.