The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

Superman vs The Elite

Time to put that HBO Max sub to use and rewatch one of the better DC animated movies.

Perfect for @CanadaMatt3004 and other fans of The Boys, this is like “What if Superman faced off against The Seven”

It would be hard enough just facing Homelander, but against the whole team ready to kill? Superman is probably toast. And yet he’ll still persevere for truth, justice, all that stuff!

I’ll check it out. I’ve really enjoyed the Harley Quinn series. One thing DC doesnt really do wrong is their animation products

It really is strange how good their TV and animated properties have been vs how terrible the live-action stuff has been. I now feel relieved when a DC movie is anything but awful.

Now that tabbaker has gone to sleep and will not shame me, I also watched this Arabic gem earlier.

The Worthy

Survivors of a global catastrophe defend one of the last sources of clean water from infiltrators.

Wow! The fact that this movie 1) exists 2) was shown in the Arab world is impressive enough, but it is actually a gem of a find.

Terrorists find a way to poison the water supply, sending the world into a global catastrophe that few survive. One of the last remaining groups holds watch over their store of drinkable water. When they take a chance on letting an outsider into their small compound, everything will be put at risk.

The director makes such excellent use of the natural environment, limited settings, and practical effects as an extension of the story that you’d never notice that this post apocalyptic movie had a budget of next to nothing.

How did I miss this thread for the entirety of COVID thus far? What else have I been missing…

1 Like

In case you have not seen this as well

1 Like

I watched Run. tonight. There’s not many good horror/thriller movies but this one is >6.0 on IMDb which usually means it’s going to be fairly top tier relative for horror/thriller movies. Def more of a thriller than a horror.

I give it a ~6.5/10 and for horror/thriller film scale it’s a solid ~8/10

The one thing I heard about this movie going in to it was to not watch the trailer. After I watched the movie I went back and watched the trailer. The trailer reveals the first ~90% of the movie, so don’t watch the trailer.

Also watched Possessor. I did not like this movie. Fairly slow burn without really any sort of payoff at all. My adrenaline was jacked after watch Run. and i went right in to this and it was putting me to sleep

1 Like

I second Run. Tense from start to finish. I didn’t watch the trailer after reports similar to what you described.

We still have this on schedule as our Jan 1 watch party to ring in the new year!

I used to be mad at the first minute of every Battlestar Galactica because they’d tease all the big moments of that episode up front. But I always forgot them by the time they came in the context of the episode.

Same with Columbo

2 Likes

Michael McKean was Lenny from Laverne and Shirley ? And Michael Jordan was Wallace from The Wire?

Mind blown…

1 Like

8 eps into (10 ep single series) Haunting of Hill House, not a new show but don’t think it’s been discussed ITT. I’m not normally a horror watcher but enjoying this. Girlfriend same on both counts. Not particularly gruelling horror, just a lot of psychologically tense moments. The horror is a metaphor for childhood trauma in general and the way it tends to haunt people through their lives. I’ll let you know if it sticks the landing. Would recommend to people who normally don’t venture into horror.

1 Like

The second season Bly Manor is pretty good too. RLM did a half in the bag episode on both I seem to recall you were a fan of theirs.

Risky, no shame here. In a world of infinite choice having someone watch everything and bring you back the good stuff is super valuable. So cheers!

1 Like

Do you watch shows while you work?

1 Like

How did you know??? :grinning:

Half the day, I am writing or helping someone write their own stuff, so I’m listening to music, beach sounds, or silence. But the job I gave myself depends on me having tons of story references and examples, so the other half of the day, I read and watch a lot.

I’m prob fooling myself on how important it is to watch so much. I just love a good story. I even like bad stories if we can talk about why they’re bad.

Some days I might get through two or three movies a day, three or four books a week. I otherwise live a very simple, insulated life and only recently realized in middle age that the rest of you aren’t watching or reading just as much.

I get paid okay for a job I made for myself out of compulsively consuming and creating stories, so I am posting more reviews here out of a desire to use my talents in better service to my community. Right or wrong, storytelling defines my life, and it brings me fulfillment to take my eye off the next paycheck and instead share the pleasure of watching movies with a small group of friends and acquaintances.

9 Likes

Any chance you saw this one? Been meaning to check it out on Hulu.

2016 was the year depravity and ignorance was explained by conservative pundit and memoirist J.D. Vance—a man who believes he is qualified to criticize the entire culture of Appalachia and the Rust Belt (hillbillies) because he is from, well, a screwed-up family in Ohio. After his book Hillbilly Elegy—not simply a memoir but a criticism of a “culture in crisis”— hit the bestseller list and university reading circuit, and after the statistically inaccurate “Trump Country” journalism, I’d say a mighty large portion of Appalachia was waiting for someone to call BS.

That’s where Hillbilly comes in. Directed by Emmy-nominated filmmakers Sally Rubin and Ashley York, the documentary follows self-described “progressive feminist” York back to her hometown of Meathouse Hollow, Kentucky, in the weeks leading up to the 2016 presidential election. The film is part Election 2016 documentary, part cultural study of how stereotypes create detrimental political and economic policy. Both of these threads are supported by interviews with a remarkable, diverse set of Appalachians: scholars bell hooks and Barbara Ellen Smith; Deliverance actors Ronny Cox and Billy Redden; Coal Miner’s Daughter director Michael Apted; and activists/writers Frank X Walker, Crystal Good, and Silas House.

1 Like

Yeah Risky I hope it didn’t come off as me attacking or judging you. I’m just impressed by the size and girth of your viewing experience.

Do you actually pay full attention to all of these or are you kind of half paying attention while scrolling the internet or doing other work?

1 Like

No offense taken, I was playing back at you.

Full attention to new stuff. Depends on the rewatch, but I’ve started putting the phone down for those too. It’s crazy how much there is to notice if I give something my full attention, so if I am going to read/post here, I usually hit pause and come back when I’m done giving Unstuck my full attention.

All bets are off if it’s a stinker from the first five minutes.

They posted a “very special” extra episode of Euphoria. It’s just Rue and her sponsor in a coffee shop. I love the sponsor but it gets very maudlin. Rating: meh-

Ty. Loved s1 but will just wait for s2.