The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

For teh doubters

This conversation started with mosdef saying this:

So I was arguing that it didn’t work on the level of straightforward story.

Also while it’s easy to get pejorative about “sports movie cliche”, I’d argue that story structure is a good thing which exists for a reason and it’s generally a good idea for straightforward stories to follow it. I doubt you’re about to mount an argument that Queen’s Gambit is high art that doesn’t need to bother with that training-wheels shit.

Still in mid-watch of The Undoing but:

• Many detectable accents in this episode. For a trial in Manhattan there sure are a lot of people from other countries.

• Regardless of anything else these people are terrible parents lol

• Pictured here, a production still of Nicole Kidman:

4 Likes

lololololol they edited Toobin out of the episode but still have his voice talking about the case.

1 Like

The undoing episode 5 :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like

So good!!!

Savage.

2 Likes

IMO Episode 5 of The Undoing was:

Shark-jumpingly bad. The whole thing with Hugh Grant being responsible for his sister’s death, the call with his mom (by the way, “none of us is” and “none of us are” are both acceptable uses), the reveal that the kid saw his dad flirting at school (foreshadowing!), blah. Kidman being a therapist and the insight that might give her had apparently been given up on, thank God, then we have scene with Donald Sutherland “In your professional opinion, would killing his sister make him more or less empathetic…”. I posted the thing about them being horrible parents before the end of the episode because of them bringing him to court and abandoning him at the table at the restaurant (they would not have gone out to eat at a restaurant after court under any circumstances anyway). And she’s supposed to be this wise therapist!

So now I guess that Hugh Grant really did kill her, but the kid is somehow involved, which will prevent Kidman from revealing what she found.

1 Like

Lol i think you have all valid points there. I thought the thing with her finding the murder weapon, while shocking, is a bit much really. I don’t think the kid killed her, maybe he found the murder weapon and hid it on his own or his dbag dad told him to hide it and he did cuz he loves his daddy. It was also quite obvious when she goes into the room thats what was going to happen. I thought the same thing about them eating at the restuarant after court haha.I feel like the whole sister story was just to show he’s a sociopath and make viewers lean hard into “he killed her”.

1 Like

Reluctant to use spoilers, since this is getting The Affair level bad and honestly who cares but I guess someone might.

Were you supposed to laugh when nicole found the murder hammer in the kid’s room? Because I laughed a lot. Man I hate everyone in this show but actually Hugh is starting to kind of grow on me.

So I think that Hugh probably murdered the lady and the dumb annoying kid walked in and then saw the dead lady and Hugh was like oh hey she was just like that. But, uh, here take this hammer and don’t throw it away or anything, just keep it in your closet or whatever. Don’t tell mom! And he did this because he’s a sociopath and he’s planning on using his son having the hammer as a defense. So next episode he’s going to take the stand and be all well actually my son did it and he has the hammer. Sad!

I’m pretty sure this whole dumb show is just a recycled plotline from one of those dumb HUGE TWIST David Kelly lawyer shows.

2 Likes

yea i think you are pretty close here.

Also they search warranted the house though in first EP i believe, so the hammer didn’t go straight there, but i think you’re mostly right about how it went down.

The kid definitely didn’t kill her, that whiny little baby lacks the upper body strength to smash the lady’s head in.

Also can we talk about how this murder lady and her husband were poor, salt of the earth folks who, uh, kept a second apartment for the lady to do her, uh, artwork. Kept a second apartment…in Manhattan? To do the sculpting? As poor, salt of the earth folk do. Was anyone involved in the writing of this show worth less than eight figures?

1 Like

They are in harlem actually but your point still stands.

ah, ok. Still. Withing walking distance of Nicole’s house. COME ON. What would that sculpting/boning apartment be, $2500 a month?

1 Like

yea none of the Nicole walking by her apt randomly makes sense either, will be interesting to see if the kid somehow got over that way by himself as well.

In the first EP i believe when Nicole asks Elena if she wants a ride home I believe Elena says no a car ride will take 30 mins, subway is much faster. Although I guess thats from wherever that fundraiser was being held, but I don’t see how its possible that Nicole/Elena live anywhere near eachother so not sure how Nicole is out randomly walking by her place and not sure how the kid will find his way there if indeed thats how it turns out but I guess the writers said who cares?

Also yea that kid wouldn’t have the strength or the will to kill her.

1 Like

Upper west side and Harlem aren’t that far from each other, if she really likes walking. But even in today’s New York City I think it stretches credibility that a rich lady is walking around like that at night.

Well it seems we agree the show pretty much jumped the tracks. Just so many details that don’t make sense. Also, has it been answered why Donald Sutherland spends so much time in that museum?

1 Like

I believe it’s time for us to make a dedicated Undoing thread without spoiler tags.

1 Like

I have something of a different POV on the stuff you don’t like LFS. That stuff is catnip for me. I love the stuff you hate :P

I have thoughts about what is most likely going on. It’s a genre convention they are leaning hard into. It’s totally a theory though. They may yet surprise me, but so far they are telling this story according to the psychology suspense formula.

Parsing what I’m trying to say. I will start an Undoing thread later if y’all are on board. Would love to discuss more movies, shows, and books like this if y’all are game.

1 Like

start it up

1 Like