The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

We had an excellent watch party for that if you want to time warp back to our discussion in the watch party thread :+1:

1 Like

I read that the undoing is only six episodes???wtffffffff

Good. And for the love of christ keep it as a contained mini-series. I am jumping ship if they announce s2.

1 Like

Ya I didn’t open the article but when I Googled there was a headline about no season 2 confirmed at least as of yet, they kept the night of to 1 season tho, shoulda kept big little lies to 1 as well

I am in total agreement about Big Little Lies. Having said that! Season 2 is fantastic and I’m making an exception just this once.

Yea I enjoyed season 2 as well, but easily coulda been kept to 1

1 Like

The US needs to embrace the one off stand alone series instead of being money grubbing capitalist pigs trying to drain every last cent out of something.

7 Likes

Yeah, I find my self much more enjoying shows that have a contained one season story.

The UK is much better at doing it. They’re also better at doing shorter seasons of regular shows so the quality doesn’t dip.

I think British television set the mold with I, Claudius. Give us a one-season drama with a definitive ending. In America, the shows drag on for years and years until we discover the lead actor is a sex pest or there’s a pandemic and production has to shut down and we get a completely unsatisfying ending.

2 Likes

The New Mutants is inconceivably awful. I mean on every level it is one bad decision after another.

There is one funny part where they added a CGI television in the background playing an episode of Buffy to convince us this wasn’t originally shot as though taking place in the 80s.

I will have to check, but while the episode of Buffy playing was s4e10 “Hush,” I’m pretty sure none of the footage on the TV is actually from that episode. Did they CGI fan fiction footage??

I’ve been watching Outlanders. I originally started years ago but my bf wasn’t so onboard so I stopped watching. Back into it again and I’m on the second season which I don’t like quite as much as the first. I think I have a thing for kilts :heartbeat:

Great idea

I’ll have a think on Julia.

1 Like

Savior complex imo

Re: Julia

Perhaps it’s the old “sad, broken puppy can be fixed” syndrome? Like she’s seen flashes of a good person in him, feels bad for him, and wants to make him all better?

Yeah, even in real life relationship dynamics are not rational. Most people learn how relationships work by watching their parents. Since many, many parents have outrageously terrible relationships that’s usually the simplest explanation for why Person A inexplicably is in a relationship with Person B. If the show was real life, my first guess would be that Julia’s mom was in a relationship with a shitty loser and loved him against all reason. Lo and behold that’s what happens to the daughter as well.

1 Like

RE: Julia

That’s how co-dependency works. People like her come to a relationship with baggage to begin with, and then the addict essentially preys upon them.

1 Like

Took a break to do this over the last hour. Thanks for the suggestion, goofy. Fun to see how many movies the community has watched together.

PREVIOUS WATCHES
Die Hard
No Country for Old Men
Rounders
Ex Machina
Mandy
Happy Gilmore
Blazing Saddles
Uncut Gems
Community s2e24: “A Fistful of Paintballs”
Booksmart
Hamilton
The Boys s1e1: “The Name of the Game”
Alien Resurrection
Borat: Subsequent Movie Film
Saturday Night Live (November 2020 | hosted by Dave Chapelle)
There Will Be Blood
Lifeforce
Molly’s Game
HGW: TMO s1e2: “Love Me Tinder” (online dating before COVID)
The Platform

BONUS THREADS
El Sapo vs RiskyFlush 1v1 Film War
Groundhog Day
Lost in Translation
The Color of Money
Jerry Maguire
Joe vs the Volcano

And here’s the OP where I will update the list with every new watch.

3 Likes

Agreed, and just expanding on your thoughts a little.

Narcissists and co-dependents are drawn to each other.

The narcissist requires a partner who will always go way over the line to prove their love for them.

And a co-dependent requires a partner that will demand they go way over the line to prove their love for them.

In his excellent book The Human-Magnet Syndrome, psychotherapist Ross Rosenberg describes the relationship equation of two people as one that ultimately must equal zero. The toxic selfishness of the narcissist balances out the toxic selflessness from the co-dependent. As insane as it appears to anyone on the outside, this is the only time the narcissist and co-dependent feel like the pieces are in the right places. If only they could figure out how to be happy while waiting for a time bomb to explode.

2 Likes

Much appreciated. I’ll add it. Please anyone lmk if I missed your favorite.