The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

Have you seen Sports Night?

Out of curiosity, can you watch Woody Allen movies?

Sorkin fundamentally writes two characters: A man, who is Aaron Sorkin, and a woman, who is stupid and incompetent and needs Aaron Sorkin to explain things to her.

I can’t imagine watching Manhattan after reading the story about the teenager Woody Allen was dating at the time. Manhattan is basically his fantasy of “What if all my friends thought it was really cool and not at all creepy that I’m in my 40s and dating a 17-year-old?”

1 Like

I think A Few Good Men is the only movie or TV show written by Sorkin that I have actually watched.

1 Like

Lol every “stupid” woman Sorkin writes is a world leader in her field and normally has advanced education.

I’ve seen Molly’s Game five or six times…

I’ve been holding off because I keep meaning to read the book first.

Excellent excellent. I hope you’ll give us some commentary if you do either/both.

https://twitter.com/jacksonpublick/status/1303102212193705985?s=19

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just don’t understand this critique at all. I’ve read a dozen pieces making the same claim and they simply don’t hold up to even the tinniest bit of scrutiny. CJ and Donna got more responsibility because it was the 5-7th seasons. It’s completely standard character development. It wouldn’t have made sense in season 1-4.

I feel like I have a very highly tuned misogyny radar and just don’t buy this claim about his writing.

As a person, he clearly has some sexism issues, mostly based on his emails that have been released.

I was surprised to really enjoy Steve Jobs with Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslet (Boyle directed, screenplay Sorkin)

1 Like

Clovis is a liberal, so the symbolism of how long the resumé of a Sorkin Woman is is more important to him than the fact that Sorkin continually portrays Sorkin Women as incompetent messes who are falling apart professionally and personally until a man straightens them out.

That was his first big success, so it makes sense that it would work well and also that the things that worked would curdle into some of his worst tendencies with time.

I do hear The Social Network is great, and I presume it’s because David Fincher having final authorial control means he ironed out Sorkin’s worst tendencies, actually made sure his characters had motivations for the things they said and did (rather than “Aaron Sorkin liked this line of dialogue”), etc.

Pretty strong case to be made that The Social Network is the best film of the decade. David Fincher is at his best, the Atticus Ross / Trent Reznor soundtrack is phenomenal, introductions of Armie Hammer and Andrew Garfield, etc. Really great film.

Molly’s Game is overlong and not as good, but it’s a solid directorial debut.

2 Likes

The Social Network begins and ends with women calling Zuckerberg an asshole.

5 Likes

It’s on Netflix guys. Cmon.

1 Like

I approve of the have not watched shaming :+1:

1 Like

You are literally just making shit up or quoting nonsense you read on some twitter account.

“His characters are falling apart professionally” is just a hilarious take that could only come from someone who has never seen his shows (which you just admitted).

Literally every female character he has ever written, I can’t think of one exception, is in the top 1% of her profession. I wish I was falling apart similarly.

Yes. But also if memory serves, the movie was flamed hard for its treatment of women but sort of got away with it by being a very deliberate criticism on the culture that didn’t allow for women to take center stage. That does strike me as sort of having their cake and eating it too, but I think there’s a place for this kind of representation where the filmmakers are saying well hold on, if you watched the movie and took away from it that you should be more like those people, you have Missed The Point.

Forgot that I just finished Homeland. Season 8 was actually fairly good in comparison to later seasons. A lot of the plot points are pretty absurd and the coda at the end is especially ridiculous, but it was enjoyable. Plus, Oleg Burov got out early from his prison sentence in The Americans to make a strong showing in the last two seasons.

1 Like

It got pretty bad in spots and was hard to make it to the end but I thought they did a good job giving her a nice ending.

1 Like