The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

Like in poker terms, Republicans are raising every hand and tripling every board. Dems are only 3betting AA, they’re never bluffing, and they’re folding every scary runout. The GOP is guaranteed to get all the chips in the long run.

Bluffing is scary and heroing off is scary, but it beats certain death by 1,000 paper cuts.

5 Likes

But he doesn’t equate it with Heller. I still think it’s a bad comparison. Are there any cases, aside from this one, where overturning precedent took rights away?

they already eliminated the filibuster on what they actually want (judges and tax cuts).

Yeah, rights are being held out as unqualified goods. Slave owners had the right to treat people as property.

This is becoming less true though. DeSantis is showing that there’s an appetite on the right to use explicit state power for conservative ends

1 Like

https://twitter.com/LemieuxLGM/status/1540780261859655680

2 Likes

To complete the analogy eDems are playing this way with someone else’s bankroll.

4 Likes

I’m ok with copying French abortion laws.

And they keep coming back to their backer for more money like “I’m alarmed at how often the raises me, that’s why it’s more important than ever that you give me another buyin. This time I promise to try harder to get AA and get paid!”

2 Likes

Was asked today the abortion laws in the Czech Republic. I actually didn’t know them because abortion really isn’t a political issue here. Looked it up though

12 weeks and earlier - Abortion with no questions asked
12-24 weeks - Abortion if there’s a medical reason
To term - Okay if necessary to save the mother’s life

Probably part of why Czech Republic’s maternal mortality rate is 1/4 that of America’s

he’s performing for white boomers in Iowa

He’s losing his reelection bid.

“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don’t move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there’ll be no way of stopping them, we’ll lose the filibuster and there’ll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It’ll be Reconstruction all over again. [Said to Senator Richard Russell, Jr. (D-GA) regarding the Civil Rights Act of 1957]”
― Lyndon B. Johnson

You’ve got it all wrong. Brown took away the right to send your kid to a segregated school. Moreover, Dobbs gave rights to the states to regulate abortion. Dobbs isn’t taking anyone’s rights away. Maybe your state government will.

1 Like

They’re selling dollars for 11 cents right now on PI if you really believe this.

1 Like

I feel like a starting point is that any abortion that can be performed by a pill, and any abortion for a medical reason should never be an issue. We can have a reasonable discussion about every other circumstance under the Sun if we start at that point.

Anyone disagreeing with those two is a fanatic and not worth having a discussion with.

2 Likes

I feel like anyone disagreeing about being able to have a discussion on everything else is a fanatic.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/jalenelrod/status/1540801037975666690?s=21&t=LPNu-2gBhQZVVJBc7sZhuQ