The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

I actually think they probably already are according to a good portion of GOP. Not that it’s anything for us to be excited about. Fading 3 more Alitos is the thinnest of sliver linings.

SCOTUS seems to be intent on saving the GOP from its worst reactionary impulses, while still being 100% all-in on voter suppression and any other chicanery that solidifies power.

4 Likes

No I hear ya, but you have to hang your hat on something. One of the other things that helps me to sleep at night is knowing that Scalia was such a POS that Gorusch is actually a not-insignificant upgrade (not to mention from the bang-up job Garland is doing at AG it kinda looks like that would have been a wash if Mitch had let him be confirmed, lol).

Maybe democrats can pass a voting tax credit or something, that might actually get democrats aroused enough to pass a bill but sadly the court would magically discover deeply held constitutional concerns so WAAF anyway

Only because I saw this thread before the lol media thread

Unpredictable lololololol

All this kumbaya shit is exactly what the right wing of the court wanted to defang anything coming from the commission and to set the stage for next term when they go straight up bonkers with abortion, affirmative action, guns etc. They have a docket set to eradicate 100 years of progressive legal precedent.

Not sure if I saw it mentioned itt but apparently along with killing more voting rights they killed disclosure. So people no longer have to disclose their donations lol.

I don’t think this is exactly right. As I understand this was a California law that mandated disclosure to the AG, not public.

Terrible ruling but not killing all disclosure.

From what I understand it was a massive shift. Before you would have to sue to get your individual group excluded from a disclosure law and I think it was a pretty high bar at that. Now disclosure laws will start out with the presumption that they’re unconstitutional on their face and will have to prove that there’s no other way for the government to get the transparency they’re seeking.

SHOCKINGLY ANOTHER SWING AND A MISS FROM EXPERT PROGNOSTICATOR GRUE

2 Likes

A majority of DEMOCRATS approve of what the Supreme Court is doing. WAAF.

I mean the vast majority of corporate media wants them too. You look up anything from them on the supreme court and its all about how they aren’t as conservative as people thought, massively tout the huge " liberal wins " etc. Last thing our corporate owners want is more liberal supreme court.

You have to be pretty plugged in to get how awful they are.

5-4 most recent podcast was on how horribly the media portrays the supreme court, and how often its people who actually have to go before the supreme court that reports on them lmao

2 Likes

Happy 83rd birthday. Asshole.

5 Likes

You know a supreme court justice job must be super cush if nobody ever wants to retire. People working normal jobs can’t wait to retire to do all the shit that they didn’t have time to do while working.

These fucks must work about 6 hours a week for 4 weeks a year if they never want to retire.

No, it’s not that. They work constantly around the clock. At least RBG did. The typical profile of a SC justice is a massive egomaniac who thinks that everything they say and do is massively important and they get huge massive hits of dopamine from their work. They don’t retire the way that heroine addicts don’t retire.

6 Likes

watching the law profession from the outside is kinda crazy. it’s literally an empire built on top of an impenetrable wall of text, and then there are these a-types who are all trying to write and file as much text as possible to add to it.

it’s a little like the rounders scene when landau says he saw god in law rather than the torah. ok dude, way to make yourself feel important. it’s funny noone ever sees god in scrubbing floors or toilets either, but scrubbing vaccine fermentation tanks clean somewhere in the supply chain turns out to literally save lives.

2 Likes

Lol forgot about that part.

It’s a bit of both right? Like a lot of creative jobs it’s not physically demanding. There’s no backs to ache, no muscles to pull. It’s more of a management role, that you’re dictating to clerks what to do. I’m sure there are long hours but it’s hours telling people what to do, having late night parties, meeting with other lawyers, etc, so it’s relatively cushy.

So if I had to guess which one would burn out quicker, a Supreme Court justice or a public defender, even an equally paid one, I’d be bet it’ll be the public defender.

That’s not to say they’re lounging around doing nothing. Supposedly they do work long hours and do work a lot so they’re not lazy. It’s just the kind of work that makes it a bit easier to not call it work.

Yep, I agree. My point was that in addition to all this, they don’t even really perceive it as work. They “do SC activities” for several hours every day because they find it to be pleasant, it’s just a fundamentally different relationship with their job than people cranking out deliverables as a cog in some larger machine.

Maybe someone can confirm, but I don’t think that’s what he says.

He says that he didn’t find God in the Torah. And after that he found that he loved the law and became obsessed with it. But I don’t think he ever says that he found God in the law. I guess one could argue he implied it, but I didn’t take it that way.

I might be misremembering it, though. I seen it quite a few times, but the last viewing was many years ago.