The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

Dianne Feinstein is 87 years old.

Before deciding if a president can unilaterally delay an election, Barrett needs to research the pressing legal issue of what was stated between parentheses behind the president’s name when they were elected.

2 Likes

It isn’t clear if Jefferson is talking about changing how the constitution is interpreted or actually amending the constitution.

GREAT JOB CALIFORNIA, BANG UP JOB WITH DIANE FEINSTEIN, A+

6 Likes

fyp

8 Likes

this makes pretty clear what he is referring to:

’I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions. I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them, and find practical means of correcting their ill effects.'

Ill fitting coat makes it pretty damn clear to me. So he was somewhat of a lone voice on this? You live and learn.

Maybe. It all depends on what you view as a moderate imperfection I suppose.

Leahy with the right approach. Ignore her. Yes or no questions on the facts.

“Do you know how many Americans got insurance under ACA? Do you know how many Americans under 26 are on their parents insurance? So you know how many people are covered by Medicaid expansion?”

Need to go further. Just quote all her horrific writings and ask if she wrote it.

2 Likes

On the other side of the coin, his fucking phone keeps dinging over zoom.

My vague recollection of a Jefferson biography read more than a decade ago doesn’t agree with this. I think Jefferson was an advocate for amending the constitution at regular intervals. Regularly scheduled intervals, like every ten years or something. Which also fits the coat metaphor – you don’t interpret your old coat into a new one, you get a new one.

https://twitter.com/LambdaLegal/status/1316018815562518528

1 Like

Leahy losing steam here. But the D’a have an appropriate strategy - Booker and Kamala types, and generally any senator under 80yo, will do a good job of hammering it home.

Barrett says the Supreme Court needs to be separate from politics. But the only reason she was nominated was because of politics. I think I would try to make her admit that. Its a hard argument that, devoid of politics, she is the most qualified person to assume a seat on the Supreme Court.

4 Likes

The idea behind a living constitution is that we are not bound by the original intent of the founding fathers, so what Jefferson wrote shouldn’t be that important to someone who believes in a living constitution, except as a gotcha aimed at an originalist.

https://twitter.com/JillFilipovic/status/1316015142828556301

oh good

1 Like

Yeah I don’t understand how every senator isn’t just repeating back terrible writings and ask her if she wrote/said it.

2 Likes

Letting the oldest members question first takes the air out of every Congressional hearing. Olds being in charge of everything is a major problem.

4 Likes

Man, is it relaxing not to watch any of this.

4 Likes

Hahaha yeah being called the n-word doesnt constitute an abusive workplace in her views, jfc these people