The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

I know this is getting into NBZ edgelord territory, but WA (and I think OR and CA) have already stated that they have committed to reproductive rights for both residents of WA and people traveling to WA for abortions -

It’s a shame voting records aren’t public so when some right wing family from Idaho come to WA for an abortion for their 15 year old daughter that “she just made a mistake”, we should be able to check to see if that they voted for these schmucks and deny them care. These assholes need to suffer the consequences of their actions. “Elections have consequences!”

I guess we could check their party affiliation to get some idea of how they voted.

As a WA resident, I don’t want my taxes paying for abortions of Idahoans that voted these people into power.

1 Like

It’s common for SCOTUS to decide cases on the narrowest grounds possible.

Get out while you still can.

Massachusetts already issuing an executive order refusing any cooperation with other states trying to prosecute reproductive services that are legal in MA. This is the sort of thing I think eventually escalates to Balkanization.

No. 600: Protecting Access to Reproductive Health Care Services in the Commonwealth

4 Likes

Or civil war.

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1540338578131230721

Thomas: [W]e should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell.

Those are: contraception, sodomy, gay marriage.

Thomas has been on an island for years. Nobody else on the Court agrees with him except maybe Alito on those issues.

1 Like

From it’s never ever going to happen to they only have 2 votes on the supreme court. Let’s see how many votes there are when the case comes. Let’s see how the Trump appointees vote. Let’s see how the next president’s appointees vote.

This is not 0% and you’re a fool to even worry about it.

There’s been a massive flurry of anti-LGBTQ legislation in red states this past year, if you haven’t noticed. Obergefell is a dead man walking at this point, and I think Lawrence is a favorite to be overturned. Griswald probably lives, but in a state where no employer has to provide insurance that covers contraception and red states outlaw Plan B, IUDs, and various other things they get gut feels about.

What liberal justices are being replaced? Next up are Thomas and Alito.

No one other than Federalist Society ghouls is getting on the court without a Democratic presidency AND senate, which we may not see again for a lifetime.

So you think Obergefell must be overruled in 2023?

Why TF is this discussion happening here?

The Great Dissenter John Marshall Harlan was on an island with Plessy v Ferguson and look how that turned out.

I don’t know. Someone responded to a post I made and I received an alert. Am I not permitted to respond?

I don’t think the next justice(s) appointed to the court will be conservatives. Kavanaugh and Roberts and Barrett-Coney have not given any indication they agree with Thomas on his substantive due process argument (otherwise they would have made his opinion the majority).

1 Like

The precedent has been set that only Federalist Society ghouls get on the court unless the Dems hold both the Presidency and the Senate, and Republicans have set up the system so that they can throw out presidential results they don’t like.

Decisions like today’s are, I think, going to lead to many of the milquetoast Democrats to step up. If contraception or gay marriage are at issue they will be extremely electorally motivated to take action to undo what has happened.

pretty sure most of them other than the bigs like texas and florida are already pretty much bankrupt… they bankrupt themselves with tax cuts because thats the only actual policy republicans know about.

They’ve been talking about this idea on Chapo recently. This could even end up with states pursuing a separate foreign policy at least when it comes to trade agreements and so on. Why would California give a shit what Arkansas thinks its trade policies should be?