The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

thanks, clown

2 Likes

And you are choosing to deny extreme bigotry and misogyny because some people didnā€™t experience it.

I can assure you this is the exact same argument racists make when saying systemic racism isnā€™t real.

He didnā€™t promise $1400 checks on the campaign trail, he promised $2000.

So check and mate!

GG America. (This doesnā€™t support my position just something interesting about USA#1)

U.S. Census data that showed that the percentage of U.S. blacks who own their own homes today is essentially the same as when housing discrimination was outlawed in 1968. The 1970 census found 42% of black households owned their own homes. In 2017, the number was 41%.

35% of black households owned their home in 1950. 41% do today. Spreading childish imagery of what discrimination looked like throughout our history does not make you a better ally, it allows people to pretend like the progress weā€™ve made is greater than what it actually is.

I hope that itā€™s clear that I am not denying bigotry or misogyny, and Iā€™m not denying that women faced many more hurdles in opening bank accounts in 1975 than men did, and many more than they do today thanks to the passage of civil rights legislation.

I am pushing back on the idea that embellishing facts in a way that amplifies a true, necessary message is still a bad thing to do.

1 Like

I bet you donā€™t!

2 Likes

For the purposes of propaganda and trying to sway public opinion, itā€™s more important to simplify the message than to be historically accurate. Right-wingers get this a lot better than those on the left.

3 Likes

Itā€™s definitely about 10x longer than it needs to be, and whatā€™s even more absurd is he later turned it into an entire book. But the central definition of bullshit being an emotional appeal that is at best indifferent to truth is incredibly useful imo, and the distinctions drawn between bullshit and lying are important.

Thereā€™s a Wikipedia entry for the lazy:

Kinda kidding. I had no idea what ā€˜pleonasticā€™ meant until I looked it up. It was in the article itself.

This is stomach churning

4 Likes

Black people could own homesā€“but only in black neighborhoods, at mortgage rates higher than paid by white people, and at ownership rates much lower than for white people.

Yeah I think it is the thing that might actually get me to stop paying attention. It is all just too painful and hopeless.

1 Like

Is Manchin an honest man whose public word should always be believed? Will he be offended if his promise is not good enough for Mitch McConnell?

Iā€™m not a dog person, so I donā€™t know who to assess this:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1353851394768429058

The bright side about Manchin us that either Schumer or McConnell should now cave and Ds can take power. Thereā€™s nothing at stake any more.

It would be fun to watch them suffer for this if the stakes werenā€™t so high. This is so soul crushing.

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeConchaTV/status/1353776517730471936

Dogs, like democrats, are easily tricked and will still always wag their tail and lick your face.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree with all of that.

2/3 of those things are still true today, and the third is largely true in practice, even if not as a policy. Describing the problem of housing discrimination in the 1950s as ā€œblack people couldnā€™t own homesā€ blurs those similarities and gives a warped view of the civil rights era, its victories and its failures. Banning redlining and discrimination in lending was a gigantic accomplishment. But the neighborhoods donā€™t look very different in 2020 than they did in 1950. Itā€™s a fight that was never really won.

This is how I feel anyway and why Iā€™ve been posting a lot less lately.

3 Likes