The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Not picking on you, but this is a perfect example of the coastal bias in CA.

We get flash floods in my town/neighborhood every time there is a particularly strong rainstorm. I only live 30 miles from the coast. We don’t have flood insurance, so the time our backyard flooded and the water actually got into our bedroom and ruined the carpet, we had to pay to replace it out of our pocket.

It’s kind of ironic, since insurance companies are cancelling homeowners insurance policies out here left and right due to fire danger. I wonder what they’d say if we applied for flood insurance?

River flooding is a huge thing in large parts of the country, and includes a lot of middle class and low income housing. Climate change has made 500 year rainstorms that cause huge river floods a twice a decade experience. Most human settlements that haven’t been on the coast over time have been on rivers. If you buy your house on the coast, you should at least assume the risk of hurricanes. But in a lot of places, low lying areas around rivers that were historically not in flood zones now suddenly are, because of climate change. You have middle class people who have owned homes for decades or even generations who suddenly can’t get flood insurance for a home where flooding was never an issue in the past. The solution isn’t simple.

some of seattle is in designated flood zones. there’s a lot of WA getting flash floods and such.

Speaking of floods, the NSW mid-north coast is getting washed away at the moment. Parts of northern Sydney are evacuated.

God damn the Biden presidency is boring, this thread is just going to be a compendium of derails.

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1373414507633111052

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1373414513123426305

California has 40 million people. From your link:

Population differences are also an important factor when comparing states. In Figure 7-3, states are ranked according to their annual average damage per capita during 1983-1999, giving a quite different picture than the ranking by total damage in Figure 7-2(b). North Dakota moves to the top, with a whopping $363 damage per person per year (mostly attributable to flooding in 1997), while California slips to 25th place.

1 Like

We had a house in the Oakland Hills where strong rains could end up with wet carpets too.

When the Mississippi floods it looks like this:

1 Like

I believe Sacramento has a lot of houses below the level of the river and when they levee breaks people will have no place to stay.

4 Likes

Washington is about an average population state, so I’ll just use CN’s link without adjusting.

Y’all, I’m not stuck in here with you. You’re stuck in here with me.

4 Likes

Yes, and per capita CA is 25th ranked. Property values are double the national average, which maybe cancels as people pay more for insurance and get bigger payouts? Dunno. But per capita CA is not particularly high and doesn’t seem like it’s subsidized. And Washington isn’t. Should we look at Oregon or should everyone just say that I’m right already?

Oh wait, I said it doesn’t flood on the Best Coast. I guess I lose if there’s any flooding at all. Damn.

1 Like

The per capita damages confirm that I’m subsidizing somebody, so I’m not agreeing to anything until I either get some money back or get flooded.

3 Likes

ancil hoffman! man, I loved that place. carmichael

1 Like

It all evens out. I’m getting shafted on my snow insurance.

The one thing I miss about being a mod.

It’s nothing too exciting, I’m just tired of engaging with you. There’s no point.

Yep. We subsidize flood insurance for their muilti million dollar homes and renourish their beaches when they get washed away, and they still try to close access to the beaches to the public. Being rich should qualify as a mental health disorder.

In my local community, providing dumpsters, portapotties, and hand washing stations has not improved the homeless situation.

I had written to our city council a few years ago suggesting they put out dumpsters in that area to help with trash and debris. The city actually did it but the area looks worse than before.

1 Like

I guess it depends on what you mean by “improved”. Did anyone ask the homeless people whether they thought it was improved?

3 Likes