The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

That is actually a pretty big appointment. As we have experienced, the FTC can have substantial impact in a lot of areas, especially the internet.

Someone who is anti big tech could help create some interesting decisions.

I am just glad Ajit is gone.

1 Like

Merrick Garland is still not attorney general.

3 Likes

This is insane at this point.

1 Like

Since they didnā€™t start confirmation hearings before the inauguration, this is a natural consequence of prioritizing impeachment and a COVID bill. Itā€™s not good, but it was predictable. Switching to a talking filibuster would lead to Republicans being able to shut down all pending nominations.

Exactly

Uhh this is huge

She quite literally wrote the paper that spurred a lot of the big tech antitrust talk.

5 Likes

I am disappointed that the Biden administration has continued on with this space force. We simply do not need another branch of the military. The establishment as it stands can deal with these issues.

We already have two branches heavily involved in air travel and defense.

As for the spending it is the least surprising thing ever. The main responsibility (all self appointed) of congress and the presidency is the fund the military and to keep that pipeline flowing.

I am skeptical Bernie Sanders himself could have impacted that primary objective were he president.

Itā€™s frustrating because there is a lot of money there that could fund a lot of good projects. Unfortunately we are a great distance from when the federal government will even try to ween itself off the military.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1369363561173155844?s=21

But how are we going to know who the money is from?

What fraction of the idiots think Trump wrote the stimulus checks from his own bank account?

4 Likes

The private space launch market is rapidly outgrowing the Air Forceā€™s capacity to provide things like range clearance, it probably doesnā€™t need to be its own separate branch but we do need more space focused federal departments.

1 Like

No real reason to reproduce things that can already be contracted out to private space companies.

https://twitter.com/aclu/status/1369368898374615050?s=21

2 Likes

Have you not watched Alien? Iā€™ve never seen a single movie where private enterprise ends well in space.

1 Like

What if I told you weā€™ve been subcontracting space stuff since forever? Thereā€™s a famous Buzz Aldrin quote about it IIRC.

Tang is one thing. Incubating monsters in human hosts is another.

Also a serious response is in no way warranted.

1 Like

I would love an explanation for a lot of these smaller immigration choices that donā€™t really make sense.

Space Balls?

(I donā€™t know if there is any private entity there just wanted to say ā€˜Space Ballsā€™)

Some legal statute about the application having to be approved the same year it was filed. You can bypass congress to bomb countries we arenā€™t at war with but canā€™t do it to help the people you bomb

1 Like

Interesting spreadsheet, but some of these Senatorial quotes go back to the Obama administration.

https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/1369405986059022341

The 5 against:
Sinema
Rosen
Carper
Feinstein
Leahy

2 Likes

John Glenn

I guess the question Iā€™m asked the most often is: ā€œWhen you were sitting in that capsule listening to the count-down, how did you feel?ā€ Well, the answer to that one is easy. I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts ā€“ all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

10 Likes

Oh fuck off. Isnā€™t there another Batman movie you can go do instead?

In fairness to him though, the quote they seemed to use to come to this conclusion is from 2019. He may have changed is mind since them.