The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

I’m guessing this is still based on 2019 income?

I think it is based on 2019, but you can also qualify based on 2020, but would have to do it in your taxes after the fact. So again a failure of messaging on top of a lol decision.

Defund the police was disastrous messaging for the vast majority of the electorate. It was a rallying cry for a thin slice of Dems. It was a net massive negative. No one not a liberal hears that expression and is anything but terrified at the prospect of looting BLM’ers rampaging thru the neighborhood. The BLM protestors, easily branded as rioters, combined with the defund the police rhetoric, lead to big Repub wins throughout the country. People love the police and “defund the police” is an amygdala trigger. Sad but true.

4 Likes
  • The $1,400 checks in the Senate’s version of the plan will start to phase out at $75,000 in income for individuals and $150,000 for joint filers, and end fully for those who earn $80,000 and $160,000, respectively.

What’s the point of even calling that a phase out? The “phase out” portion affects such a tiny sliver of wage earners.

Luckily I’m pretty sure my 2019 income slid in just under 75k, so happy days for me I guess.

3 Likes

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I feel like the next four years is going to be all downhill.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/BudgetBen/status/1367148477055172608

I don’t really get the marginal tax rate discussion for this stimulus check. It makes more sense for a sustained benefit because then it could factor into your economic calculus, but one off tax free checks wouldn’t seem to figure into anyone’s calculus.

I fucking give up

4 Likes

Yeah, Ben Ritz’s way of thinking about this is stupid for reasons that aren’t even worth getting into.

Pathological and enraging.

How easy is life right now if you’re a standard GOP congressperson?

All you have to do is not piss off Trump, throw in some whining about “cancel culture” or whatever is the hot button topic of the time, and sit back and watch the Democrats do absolutely nothing to help ordinary people.

Stacey Abrams and other activists like her gave the Democrats a fucking trifecta and this has been the result so far.

What’s the incentive for the next Stacey to bust his/her ass to replicate these results in the future?

1 Like

I could have sworn like two weeks ago Manchin walked this back and we were back to the normal cap? Like I remember we all thought it was a big victory than Manchin chilled out on this, am I imagining it? Or was that about lowering when the cut off starts to like 60k?

Just so fucking stupid

The alternative is we give people other stuff that gives them a dopamine hit rather than base our whole electoral strategy on confronting hard truths about racism and transphobia and structures like the police.

Republicans couldn’t accomplish their lower taxes, forever war, deregulate everything, kill people for the sake of profit stuff if they didn’t give their voters some things to get excited over. A lot of people get excited over hatred towards out groups. A lot of people here, myself included, do too - although obviously our targets are more deserving.

Democrats not only refuse to do popular things to give people a reason to vote for them, they also steadfastly refuse to drum up enthusiasm by encouraging hatred and rage towards Republicans, or police, or racist business owners, or whatever.

The Cinema bullshit about how we get common sense legislation through compromise is absolutely poisonous to our electoral chances. If we need to compromise to get good things, why the fuck should I vote for you? Why should I vote at all? The people that get elected will come to a compromise, and whether the Senator from Arizona is Cinema or Joe Arpaio won’t make a bit of fucking difference in what that compromise looks like.

5 Likes

That definitely happened, but then there were stories yesterday that the “Mod Squad” was back in Biden’s ear trying to get him to lower the caps again.

Manchin was walked back from trying to be 50/100 starting phase outs compared to the 75/150. Who knows why they are now adding quicker phase outs from the 75-80/150-160 line though.

It was especially bad the first time. Still stupid and if any people got checks under Trump (no idea what happened after 75/150) and don’t under Biden just fucking so dumb even outside of the normal it being dumb.

2 Likes

Remember when people were mad at Abrams for not running for Senate? She has her eyes on the Georgia governor’s mansion. Activists like her are going to continue to do things because their goals aren’t always national.

This is just idiocy for the sake of idiocy. Is there are at least a tradeoff where they are ramping up unemployment benefits instead or something? Or is this just still shrink the size of the bill because deficits while cap gains basis step up at death still exists?

Lots of luck getting those suburban voters out to vote against their pocketbook in a '22 midterm.

1 Like

It’s because the rights complete bullshit talking point Manchin has repeated that people earning 300k getting federal money or some insane shit.

Fox/Mitch was somehow hammering this as a give away to the rich and Manchin repeated it himself and then demanded we lower the cutoff.

Just pure stupidity. Dems would rather cave than counter message.

Time for the progressives to push back. The House/Senate compromise can be scuttled by the progressives in the house.

1 Like

The entire country is run by Fox News propaganda or fear thereof. What a goddamn joke.

4 Likes

Man people who made $80,000.01 just got royally fucked. They’d almost be better off asking their employers to cut their pay. That’s a fucking ridiculous phase out.