The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: Old man yells at cloud, presidential edition.

Its not obvious. Please don’t use that term.

1 Like

It also bothers me that the actions of one journalist are immediately taken as a reason to condemn the entire profession. I’m totally fine with any complaints with Maggie Haberman, as they are deserved. But why do you extend your grievance to everyone in the profession? Using that logic for every profession would likely mean that everyone is every profession is the “enemy of the people”.

5 Likes

She isn’t the reason he’s condemning the entire profession. Rather, it’s because virtually the entire fucking profession sucks, and what she did is only one of countless modern examples.

2 Likes

And there are countless examples of good journalism. Regardless, the use of that term inspires threats and violence aimed at the media. We’ve seen it. Repeating the term is easily construed as an endorsement of the threats and the violence. I can’t stop you from using that term. But it diminishes you. Period.

6 Likes

If the NYT, WaPo, etc were otherwise filled with talented journalists who speak truth to power we wouldn’t be having this discussion. There’s nothing sacred about “the media”. They are people who are paid to distribute messages. The people who pay them have interests that are directly adverse to their consumers. As do the people who these media members turn to as sources. As do the advertisers who support all of it. As do the organizations that give awards and host girls night galas to celebrate Kellyanne fucking Conway getting a job at the White House. As do the holding companies that purchase newspapers around the country and decimate their staffs.

Like, we all agree that Amazon is a literal scourge on our society that spends millions and millions of dollars to propagandize the public and lobby lawmakers so they can keep on being awful. But Washington Post is cool? Wtf

4 Likes

And they’re like oh no there are skunks insard

The reuploads will continue until heart giving improves.

Which reminds me, @m_reed05 can we get an update?

POTUS BOWL 2020: A MEME IS A WISH YOUR <3 MAKES - #2216 by m_reed05

So I put up a large Biden sign a few weeks ago. It was gone within two days. I put up another regular Biden sign and yesterday my mailbox gets smashed.

Once I get my hands on another big Biden sign I’m wiring it to an electric fence charger. I also have a camera on it and my mailbox now.

5 Likes

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the posting style of Riverman. Over the top rage, id, hyperbole…

5 Likes

I don’t know if that’s the exact phrasing we should use, but the Overton window needs to shift. Right now moderates and independents think CNN and the major networks are all liberally biased. That’s killing us, and it’s because we are in an asymmetrical battle.

The GOP: liberal lamestream fake news media

Dems: Nah they’re fair and nonbiased

Idiots: Hmmm truth must be somewhere in the middle

4 Likes

This is a bad take. Off the top of my head the NYT is dropping all those Trump finance and tax articles. That doesn’t compute with your post.

3 Likes

Well she’s employed by the national paper of record (or one of the two). So it’s not isolated to her, and let’s not pretend this isn’t one example of many.

1 Like

It is much worse than this. Anyone thinking Chippa has a good point here might want to take a stroll through the “pontificate about the media” thread and get back to us. There is systemic normalization of reactionary, grievance-based right wing politics in this country by every major news outlet.

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1316352219143442434

Nice freeroll for Barr.

4 Likes

I’m not going to debate every issue about the media, as I have my own complaints that you may not even have considered. My issue is with the term “enemy of the people”. We’ve seen how it inspires threats and letter bombs etc. directed at journalists and media companies. I spent a career in journalism and have seen the toll that such threats have taken on some of my colleagues. Colleagues who are good people. Enemies are people that we try to hurt. They are people that deserve to be hurt. That is the context of the word as commonly understood. I don’t see any difference when Trump uses it or when one of us uses it. Criticize the media all you want, but understand that when you use that term, you give your approval to the threats and attacks on journalists that it inspires.

8 Likes

The country would be a much better place if the media weren’t a bunch of shills for billionaires, war criminals etc. They are quite literally enemies of “the people”, even if not “enemies of the people” in the “to be guillotined” sense.

1 Like

I don’t see how what I posted conflicts with various news outlets occasionally doing good investigative journalism.

1 Like

I do agree the language is bad, but we should be attacking them from the left for being biased in favor of power and for making access journalism a major part of their strategy.

I don’t know if they’re full of them, but there are plenty. They’re being constrained.

I agree, but I’m trying to start from a very simple and agreeable base position and find agreement and go from there. I do think “enemy of the people” is something we should avoid, perhaps with the exact exception of how you used it (Trump’s right about one thing…).

I can back this up knowing a sports reporter who’s gotten death threats in the era of Trump.

This is disgusting. 98% of journalists are not the ones you’re thinking of. It’s the dude covering high school football for $18K a year, the woman covering local city hall meetings for $16K a year, the TV news anchor in some random mid sized town making $28K a year.

Like Chuck Todd is in the 1/10th of 1%.

5 Likes

well i guess they are balancing their range after reporting on hillarys emails constantly in 2016 but they still have time to give trump some assists before the election

1 Like

Welp, this thread is AIDS today. Good job!

9 Likes

Here’s a typical journalist. She’s trying to be a champion of the people in her community, and her corporate overlords fired her three days before her wedding from her $36K a year job for speaking out about their cutbacks.

https://twitter.com/AshleyinFloyd/status/1316146289231515648?s=19

4 Likes

I think when most people on here talk about media they talk about the mainstream media (Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc) and not journalists working for local networks, although I have gripes with some of them too since a lot of local media is being consolidated.

But also what you just posted shows exactly how media sucks, they fired her for being a good journalist and reporting against the powerful. This happens constantly and the way you move up in that industry is by not rustling too many feathers with good reporting that sides with the people

6 Likes