The Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Episode VII: We Are All Going To Die, Thanks Obama!

This right here is where I profoundly disagree with a lot of you. You guys are looking at the way Trumpers have reacted to Trump at no personal cost to themselves up to this point as an example of what’s going to happen when they pay huge personal costs. Yes the news media occasionally finds people who got screwed by some Trump policy, but still support him, but that’s not the norm. Most people do not like getting fucked and have an incredibly refined sense of ‘fairness’ when it comes to their own personal interests. When XX,XXX old people are dying a week from coronavirus they are going to react in a hugely negative way.

Further a lot of the ‘waaah the leopard ate my face’ people live in very conservative communities/social groups and don’t want to seem disloyal (because people in these communities who turn against Trump get ostracized). When the group turns, even people who legit aren’t that mad are going to follow the group like the sheep they are. Fox News is going to turn on Trump before 2020 is over if we see the kind of body count a reasonable person would expect going forward.

1 Like

Our people want to return to work because our very wealthy society will let us starve to death if we don’t.

6 Likes

Not trying to be a dick but has even one of your “as soon as XXXX happens people are gonna finally wise up and turn on Trump” predictions come true?

2 Likes

Trump’s approval went down a substantial amount during ACA repeal and the government shutdown.

Not yet :grinning:

That being said not knowing where the line is != there being no line. It’s also true that until the stock market started crashing the vast majority of GOP voters had experienced zero negative impacts from Trump. Additionally in every experience I’ve ever had defying reality is a lot like gaining altitude… when you eventually return to reality you’ve got a lot further to fall and take a lot more damage.

In the case of Trump voters that means actually getting killed by Trumps bad decision making.

I think we both known thats a temporary blip. I’m talking about a sea-change moment leading to meaningful, long-term drops in support levels.

It’s not just money. Try to make an exhaustive list of all the jobs involved from planting seeds to handling poop necessary to produce food at the levels we and the countries we export to are used to. I definitely can’t but I’m sure if anyone could (and I’m almost sure literally no one could) there’d be a lot of jobs listed where people would go “really? how?”.

And even the most obvious are starting to fail. Narrator on @pyatnitski post earlier tells me the French citizens did not go to work in the fields until after they were already hungry.

They spend their whole lives swimming in propaganda. It starts in their churches and follows them everywhere as long as they live. I agree that it’s going to take a powerful shock to make them come around. The good news is that we don’t need all of them, and they are mostly concentrated in the population most at risk for this virus.

And let’s be clear, even after they turn on Trump they are still going to be themselves. They aren’t going to stop being ignorant and racist just because they learned to hate a New Yorker who promised them things he couldn’t deliver and tried to get them killed. Expect that same man to call Donald a Jew-Yorker at some point if he doesn’t die of pneumonia first.

1 Like

Meanwhile…

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1242468663464038401?s=19

1 Like

Those things were relatively benign, though, and I think there is a broader range of potential outcomes with Covid-19. He obviously isn’t going to lose the majority of his supporters, but Trump’s approval peaks at like 44%. Losing 5% is massive for him.

1 Like

Welp, there goes my Cheers rewatch plans

3 Likes

I hope you’re right and maybe enough of them will turn away and perhaps even cost him the election. But knowing how cults work makes me skeptical.

They just won’t see it as “getting killed by trumps bad decision making”, they’ll see it as “tragically dying in spite of Trump’s heroic decisiveness and courage.”

And they’ll blame Democrats.

4 Likes

I’ve been told that Americans in general are too comfortable to take action. Now we are drawing very live to seeing what happens when Trump does nothing which leads to millions of starving, sick and dying people.

2 Likes

Huh. Trumps love himself some Modi.

He is doing this at 500 cases. Gonna save a hell of a lot of lives in India.

I am firmly in the it’s going to get so bad that people will stay home out of pure fear

1 Like

Lol boredsocial, come on man. I grew up with these people. They’re gone. They will not ever bail, ever. It literally doesn’t matter if their close relatives die because of Republicans (it’s already happening, opiates). There was a time when some were persuadable, but neoliberals ended that during the Clinton years.

6 Likes

Cuomo taking shots at Trump left and right.

Yeah the market for this stuff is crazy sir. Imagine if you acted 4-6 weeks ago when you should have!

I’m sitting in an office right now which I can assure you will never shut down as long as no one at the company gets sick with it, and I’m not entirely certain even that would do it.

I think the biggest hole in our disaster preparedness as a country is we are not in any condition to weather a nationwide crisis. A regional crisis we can handle better as we Marshall resources from other parts of the country as needed. But we are basically standing naked in a tornado in a tack factory.

1 Like

Don’t forget GUNZ. They were having Charlton Heston hold gun rallies down the street from a school massacre and declaring FROM MUH COLD DEAD HANDS > 20 years ago. And what has changed since then? Laxer gun laws and expired assault weapons bans that’s what!