The Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Episode VII: We Are All Going To Die, Thanks Obama!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252417321685053440
( twitter | raw text )

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252418369170501639
( twitter | raw text )

hooray! promises KEPT!

We should keep the borders open because we’ll export more virus cases than we import.

2 Likes

Got to disagree here. They’re white guys with guns so they can cannot be anything but the true spirit of America

Can’t wait to go to the gas station tomorrow and have them just hand me gasoline. I’ve fit all my cars to roll coal to help Americans

3 Likes

You’d think suspending immigration would be the kind of thing you’d mention at the press conference…

A post was merged into an existing topic: Kim Jong-un death watch

Year on this poll? I would have lost a lot of money betting on the ELCA to be more reliably Democratic than the Roman Catholics. The ELCA is pro-gay to the point of being in favor of marriage and ordination, at worst chill on abortion, anti-gun, pro-social-services. They would seem to be even more in line with the Democratic party than the Episcopalians. Also, lol @ the LCMS crowd getting classified as Evangelical. Yeah, they’re super conservative, but they have very little in common with the other denominations named as Evangelical.

Thanks. That does help a little.

I probably should have prohibited “born again” as a question. Just seems like a synonym for Evangelical.

Nevertheless, let’s say they say they’re born again. If I ask “And what does born again mean”, what would they say?

Well ELCA is only +4 and Catholics are +7, so in some sense Catholics are Democratic.

Man, I’m so glad the Biden campaign had the nous to razz Trump for being weak on Chyner. Paying off already!

I would expect a mainline protestant to answer “Sure, I suppose,(but maybe not quite like you’re thinking)” and an Evangelical to answer, “Absolutely!” Being born again is literally something Jesus talked about, and it’s not an idea that’s shunned by mainline Protestants, but it’s something that is central to Evangelicals. Evangelicals are way, way more likely to believe that the Bible is literal and inerrant or infallible, while mainline Protestants and Catholics agree that it is full of metaphor and symbolism. Evangelicals are much more likely to have their worship services in a structure that bears at most only passing resemblance to the Latin mass, while mainline protestants largely use the same structure as Catholics, usually with a small number of changes dating back to Luther.

That’s what I’m saying. I would have expected those numbers to be flipped.

Mainline Protestants usually interpret Jesus’ born again passage to refer to baptism:

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit.

Evangelicals will usually think of this as instead having had a conversion experience, a personal, direct, and amazing encounter with the divine that convinces them to swear of evil ways and, as they say, come to Jesus.

Desperate Racism for 2000 Alex.

Immigration is currently a non issue unless you are. President who blew a disaster in an election year and is leading the worst economic crisis in forever and you need to fire up the hate in your base.

Zero practical reasons for this.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252435487437938690
( twitter | raw text )

I’ve read this before as well and it’s really hard to believe that if I went to a random Evangelical church that every single member would claim to have had such an experience, but they would all claim to be Evangelical Christians (I think).

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252436473866973185
( twitter | raw text )

There is a lot of confirmation bias involved, where a conversion experience is a conversion experience because you were converted after the experience…