The Oscars and Emmys and Golden Globe discussion thread

Throw the fucking fork Michael.

1 Like

Godzilla is sooooooo overdue for best actor.

1 Like

The major awards:

Best Picture

American Fiction
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest

Best Actress

Annette Bening, Nyad
Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall
Carey Mulligan, Maestro
Emma Stone, Poor Things

Best Actor

Bradley Cooper, Maestro
Colman Domingo, Rustin
Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers
Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer
Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction

Best Supporting Actress

Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer
Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple
America Ferrera, Barbie
Jodie Foster, Nyad
Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

Best Supporting Actor

Sterling K. Brown, American Fiction
Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling, Barbie
Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things

Best Director

Justine Triet, Anatomy of a Fall
Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things
Jonathan Glazer, The Zone of Interest

Best Original Screenplay

Anatomy of a Fall
The Holdovers
Maestro
May December
Past Lives

Best Adapted Screenplay

American Fiction
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest

3 Likes

Cooper not catching a Best Director nom might actually cause him to pee on stage if he gets a chance

What was Barbie adapted from? Just the IP? Seems like a stretch

It’s pretty weird for America Ferrera to get into Best Supporting while Robbie misses Best Actress. I thought when Ferrera’s name was announced that it would mostly lock Robbie in. But it’s a loaded Best Actress field; if Robbie was going to be snubbed then it’s a shame that Greta Lee for Past Lives wasn’t the beneficiary. It’s more of a bummer that Greta Gerwig didn’t make the Best Director field; this is an overall underperformance for Barbie despite Ferrera’s nom being a mild upset. I’m not the biggest Barbie fan, but I thought it was good and I would have liked to see Gerwig get in.

Sterling K. Brown was also a slight surprise (probably less than Ferrera), and personally I don’t think his performance in American Fiction is anything notable, but I love Brown and I’m happy for him.

Best Picture field is no surprise, would have gone 10-for-10 if I formally predicted it. That’s easily a top three BP field of the past decade. Maestro is the weakest in the field and I still thought it had its good points. (Still haven’t been able to see Zone of Interest, so I am just assuming/hoping it’s better than Maestro.)

1 Like

Godzilla getting into Best Visual Effects was cool. I figured it was totally off the Academy’s radar.

Im both looking forward to and dreading Zone of Interest. The premise is incredible and bleak.

1 Like

I agree, but this is where common sense ran into rules and precedent apparently. Barbie had campaigned for Original Screenplay and then the Academy publicly ruled a few weeks ago that it lands in Adapted.

I don’t remember my source, but I read something that said the ruling was entirely consistent with what the Academy rules are on the original/adapted distinction.

I really like the idea (“like” in the bleakest sense, of course), but I’m a bit spooked by the fact that it’s the same director as Under the Skin. That movie gets tons of plaudits and did nothing for me.

1 Like

Gosling nom for Barbie!

TIL that there was a movie last year with Annette Benning and Jodie Foster

Very happy to see the two noms.

Yeah, BP is huge, I have to think getting into that field guarantees a lot more people watch the movie once it hits streaming next week. That’s the real win here.

1 Like

Other than Barbie stuff, is there anything I should be rooting for to pwn the cons?

Hits streaming next week? Where?

Past Lives is scheduled to hit Paramount Plus next Friday.

I thought it was already available to rent on Amazon.

It is, but I dont go for that pay for play shit when Ive got 4 streaming services signed up.

Good to hear its coming to Paramount next week. Its on my “must watch soon” list

It is. It can be seen for $6 right now. I don’t tend to rent much, but they waited me out and got my $6 before finally announcing a streaming drop. Thankfully it was great enough to justify me breaking with my usual personal policy.

According to my AMC app it’s also getting a theater re-release soon.

1 Like