The NHL Thread: It’s Back

“Truly great” is a high bar, but in the past decade their best forward picks were Chytil and Buchnevich. JT Miller just before that at least became an all star. A bit further back Kreider and Stepan were both Ranger draft picks with good careers.

Going into ancient history, Marc Savard was actually a pretty great offensive player although his career was hurt by the concussions. Doug Weight and Alexei Kovalev were both 1000 point forwards drafted by the Rangers (checks notes) 30 (!) years ago. Tony Amonte was a Rangers draft pick in the late 80s that scored 400 NHL goals. Tomas Sandstrom was a wonderful player in the 80s but I wouldn’t call him a “truly great” offensive player. Same for Rick Middleton.

So I think that all told, Alexei Kovalev was the Rangers greatest forward draft pick in the 50 years they’ve been drafting. They’ve had more notable successes with D - Leetch, Zubov, and Park are all deserving HOFers. And Henrik is the crown jewel of the entire Rangers draft history.

Yeah, if Kovalev is the greatest forward… I mean we’ve had no shortage of God tier names but almost always in the second half/end phases of their careers. Leetch was a God tier pick, and Richter up there too.

Well this is real depressing

One of my earliest sports broadcast idols, out with Parkinson’s. Hopefully he can control it and be healthy for a while longer

I know the Red Wings are still super deep in a rebuild, but solid win for the Devs tonight. Hughes picking up where he left off last season with 2 goals.

Dammit. Yes good win for the Devils. Wings got nothing out of a good first period.

Yeah Vanny played really well in the 1st. Fell off a bit the rest of the way, but solid enough to start the season with 2 points

2019 4th best odds. Picked 6th.

2020 Best odds. Picked 4th.

Never moved up. Almost always moved down. Hughes would have been great. Jury still out on Lafreniere. (Who may be a distant cousin, I have that surname in my Quebec ancestry).

Always liked Barry in these commercials

I have normal Hulu

Can I

1. Watch live NHL games
  2. Watch a replay of previous nights games?

Regular Hulu has select live games on offer I believe, but it doesn’t give you access to the larger (almost every game) access that ESPN+ offers.

Good morning nfl. Good morning baltimores defense mauling tannehill.

Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

8 Likes

Lmao

Former NHLer Adam Johnson took a skate blade to the neck in a British professional ice hockey game last night. He passed away. :(

Very reminiscent of the Clint Malarchuk incident years ago.

https://twitter.com/PanthersIHC/status/1718550740028039300?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1718550740028039300|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

WARNING : Do not watch the video of this incident (or similar incidents) unless you are
ok with/prepared to watch lots of blood in a gruesome injury. I know I’ve seen the Clint Malarchuk video and it was really tough to watch and I’m not going to watch the video of this one.

Not going to watch either, but what a terrible tragedy. Ugh.

Dang that’s horrible.

Jesus, thats awful. Just the freakest of accidents. Not planning to watch

not going watch or weigh in on the injury video.

but for somewhat hockey related content, just found Shoresy on Hulu, and wow, not sure how i’ve been unaware of it, it’s exactly what i needed

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1719000839350526296?t=GmOE03NZB3KvgCvPYBvxIQ&s=19

Making it a racial thing is stupid, but it wasn’t an accident - the one player intentionally kicked the other guy and should be prosecuted for something. It’s easily worse than what McSorley did.