The NHL Thread: It’s Back

Former NHLer Adam Johnson took a skate blade to the neck in a British professional ice hockey game last night. He passed away. :(

Very reminiscent of the Clint Malarchuk incident years ago.

https://twitter.com/PanthersIHC/status/1718550740028039300?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1718550740028039300|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

WARNING : Do not watch the video of this incident (or similar incidents) unless you are
ok with/prepared to watch lots of blood in a gruesome injury. I know I’ve seen the Clint Malarchuk video and it was really tough to watch and I’m not going to watch the video of this one.

Not going to watch either, but what a terrible tragedy. Ugh.

Dang that’s horrible.

Jesus, thats awful. Just the freakest of accidents. Not planning to watch

not going watch or weigh in on the injury video.

but for somewhat hockey related content, just found Shoresy on Hulu, and wow, not sure how i’ve been unaware of it, it’s exactly what i needed

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1719000839350526296?t=GmOE03NZB3KvgCvPYBvxIQ&s=19

Making it a racial thing is stupid, but it wasn’t an accident - the one player intentionally kicked the other guy and should be prosecuted for something. It’s easily worse than what McSorley did.

Absolutely no one in the hockey world believes this.

This is her follow up to people telling her how racist her bullshit is.

https://twitter.com/LaurenWitzkeDE/status/1719184597575975343

Hmm, it’s possible I’m wrong. Just saw a number of tweets (including a few from random hockey players I’ve sort of heard of) saying it wasn’t accident and the video looked bad - plus reports that police investigating. I probably should know that Twitter is amplifying the wrong take.

Investigation of any fatal accident is likely standard. Doesn’t mean they believe there is fpul play

Close calls to this happen a few times a year, and the game has just been really lucky this hasn’t happened in the NHL. malarchuck almost died, tons of guys have had bad cuts that just missed doing serious damage.

If you wanted to hurt a guy youd fight him. If you were the biggest scumbag you’d suckerpunch or hit him from behind. A literal 0% chance this is anything beyond an awful accident.

1 Like

Looked insanely reckless to me, as a non-hockey watcher it looked a helmet to helmet hit in football except he lead with his skate.

1 Like

At those speeds limbs go everywhere. It happened to a Boston player last week who got a bad cut mm from his eye, but because its just a cut and a swollen shut/black eye its no big deal.

If I wanted to hurt someone, why would I punch him if I have a weapon in my hand (and weapons on my feet)?

Because fighting is legal and everyone does it. The others are a crime.

It’s hockey culture. You just don’t do it.

Iirc the only guy I know who baseball batted someone (Chris Simon) never got a job again.

Marty McSorley also famously slashed Donald Brashear. There’s been a few other isolated incidents.

Jesus the comments on that. Full stormfront.

The video does look bad.