The NFL Thread 2: 1. T Swift

Obviously nobody knows how any draft pick will pan out, but I thought this was an interesting bit of insight from the Packers’ SB Nation site regarding GB’s pick swap with the Jets from the Rodgers trade (moved up from 15 to 13):

“Those two slots could have drastically altered how the Packers’ draft played out. Sitting at the 14th pick were the New England Patriots, who brought Van Ness in on an official visit. Once Van Ness was selected by Green Bay, the Patriots decided to trade that pick with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Interesting.”

"For anyone saying that Gutekunst wasted draft value by accepting the pick swap instead of a fourth-round pick — the compensation that the gave up to slide up from 10th overall to 9th overall in the draft — they need to understand this: There was no promise that Van Ness was going to be there at 15.

Even beyond the 14th pick and the Patriots connection, it’s worth noting that New York also ended up taking a player at that edge position: Will McDonald of Iowa State."

Yeah, his tape is also terrible and taking him at #4 seems like a giant reach. There were only two Week 1 QB starters in this draft and they were the first two players drafted. Everyone else is a project. Some of the “experts” had Stroud dropping out of the top 10 with other teams trading all of their future picks away to jump up and grab Richardson and Levis at 2/3.

Hey I post on r/nfl. :flushed:

no, teams have the same grading and scouting systems, sure there’s outliers from team to team where some teams may really not like someone another team does but everyone assuming that both of the lions picks would’ve been there well below are people who don’t understand the league. At least one would’ve been gone in the next handful of picks if they didn’t take them if not both.

a very plausible explanation for why they wanted to move up to 13, he was their target and they thought NE might take him, the value given up for that small of a swap doesn’t mean much, if that’s your guy go get him.

teams often with players they want, ignore them entirely with visits and hope nobody caught on to that (these people are not smart psychology wise) Will forever laugh at all the chargers smoke for their bosa pick when it literally meant nothing.

The patriots trade down all the time, it’s unusual when they stay put (ie mac jones, but most years they trade down). It’d be interesting if it was rare for them to do that.

https://twitter.com/JimIrsay/status/1652019210497794048

1 Like

sure jim, go draft 7 quarterbacks, one of them might not suck

Young didn’t get an opportunity for SF until he was 30. That sort of scenario is not gonna happen in today’s league. Even backups are frequently moving around these days.

1 Like

Irsay trolling.

Probably snorting too.

1 Like

That’s some Grassley level tweeting.

Flyover Fausts

1 Like

Levis public square embarrassment ends In Tennessee.

He’ll end up being the next Brett Favre.

Like Levis, Favre was also a 1st round caliber QB selected 33rd overall.

I don’t like Levis either, but condemning him to being a sexual miscreant who steals from the poor is a bit harsh.

11 Likes

Levis reminds me a lot of Daniel Jones and I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Jones sucked ass for a while then Daboll came in and he sucks way less now. Not sure how I feel about the massive contract but I was also skeptical about Eli Manning.

I think Jalin Hyatt, the WR the Giants drafted in the 3rd round, will be really good. He’s my favorite WR in this class, and he’s exactly what the Giants need: a guy who gets open deep with the ball skills to come down with it, outside the numbers.

He gets knocked because he was a one trick pony at Tennessee. That’s alllllll he did: run go routes on the outside, over and over and over again. Good for 15 td’s last year.

The giants have too many smaller, shifty slot guys to work the middle, and not very effectively. This kid is exactly what they need.

LOL if your one trick is scoring long touchdowns it’s perfectly fine to be a one trick pony.

3 Likes

Hahaha yes, I agree.

Hyatt going in the 3rd makes the Jameson Williams pick so bad in retrospect. They’re very similar and Hyatt is going to end up playing snaps in the NFL a year before Williams after this gambling thing

Williams is only suspended 6 games I believe.

Deuce to Dallas!