The National Football League

No shit. I remember the one with Plunkett against I believe the Eagles, and that is the only thing I associate with him at all.

Wiki tells me he won XV as coach of Oakland Raiders and XVIII as coach of LA Raiders. Also he and Ditka are the only ones to win SBs as players, assistant coaches and head coaches

1 Like

That second Raiders title was the last AFC win before that uber long stretch of NFC dominance through the 80s and most of the 90s

2 Likes

He came to Seattle, went 2-14 and used that #2 pick to draft QB Rick Mirer, who constantly threw terrible picks but later returned a 1st rounder because the Bears GM had been on a crack binge.

2 Likes

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/08/fmia-nfl-training-camp-tour-patrick-mahomes-peter-king/

The other day, I asked Mahomes to pick a more recent play that illustrated his chemistry with Reid. “I don’t know if you remember,” Mahomes said. “But early in the season we had that play against the Chargers where Tyreek kind of ran like a triple move and I sprinted out to the right and threw him a [54-yard] touchdown. It actually went off a route that we had ran against the Chargers in the year prior, where he ran a double move and they covered it really well. I went to coach Reid and I was like, ‘You think we have time to let him do three moves?’

3 Likes

I think the was the first Hispanic head coach ever, and I think one of only two (Rivera).

1 Like
2 Likes

Good read, the documentary looks interesting as well. This was big talk on the local honk stations because Orlando had the winliest team for the five or so weeks this league existed. This is the first time I’ve seen the AAF called the “Fyre Festival of Sports”

1 Like

Minor league sports are not, and will never be, a self sustaining business venture. Baseball/Basketball/Hockey all survive because the parent clubs fund them entirely, and even there the conditions for some of the lower tier players tend to be pretty terrible. People just aren’t going to pay enough money for a similar yet inferior product. It needs to be different enough to be considered a different sport. I think that’s why the Arena league lasted as long as it did. The economics of football are pretty brutal. Large rosters and staffs, facility requirements, and few games to generate revenue.

But just like any shitty business the wealthy backers oversold it then took the money and ran when it was clear it wasn’t going to work.

Edge crushed it at the end.

1 Like

Don’t tell me the lizard people are not real.

2 Likes

lol I thought he said county correctional instead of Canton. had to go captioning.

amazing ‘everybody has got to do their job.’

From gold teeth to gold jacket was a true mic drop moment

I saw that the preseason games on Saturday are spaced out every half hour for the late games and I thought what a great idea, checked week 1 of the regular season and those are, of course, all clumped together again.

More details in SI from the women that Deshaun Watson assaulted. Shockingly the NFL continues to embarrass itself, perhaps even more than the folks that inexplicably blamed Jack Easterby.

1 Like

I thought Mac looked Ok, but I also thought Stidham looked impressive his rookie preseason so… shrug

Sam Darnold looked very good in his first regular season game.

IIRC Stidham was making plays with his legs, but didn’t look great in general. Mac looked like the right type of QB for the Pats offense. Making adjustments at the line, then quick dropbacks and quick releases. I’m ready to put him in the hall!

1 Like