The National Football League

Well clearly Washington thought that, otherwise they would have just locked him down at the first opportunity.

He did have his moments though:

1 Like

Like I said, Iā€™m not a big fan, but itā€™s hard to find NFL QB play and even a middling guy is going to get paid, especially hitting free agency.

Arenā€™t you a Bears fan. Mediocre quarterbacks are legitimately worth a lot.

Play has nothing to do with it. The starting QB represents the franchise. Itā€™s why Kap got blacklisted and others that knelt didnā€™t suffer consequences. Just being the starter adds value to the franchise by default.

Chiefs cut both Fisher and Schwartz, because if thereā€™s one takeaway from watching the super bowl KC didnā€™t need either one of them.

I get it with fisher, he just tore his achilles and Schwartz was injured last year but he was cheap so I didnā€™t get that one.

anyway in cap space news

Saints down to 25M but they just had to make a big cut to get to that
Rams 33M should probably start trying some point soon maybe, best is stafford restructure
Eagles 17M is still after almost everyone got restructured, that team is ****ed in the near term lol.

Bears for some reason still havenā€™t cut Graham I donā€™t get it. you drafted a TE last year and graham got 456 yards and canā€™t jump anymore. Just let him go you need 17 million that is +7 million and you didnā€™t hurt the team at all really

Saints had to cut Janoris, a little disappointing but it does save $10M. Heā€™s older but has been playing well enough I thought he might be a restructure candidate. Maybe theyā€™ll bring him back.

Still a ways to go; I expect Patrick Robinson and Malcom Brown to be out the door at some point.

The challenge with a Stafford restructure (with the Lions needing a Goff restructure equally as bad) is that I donā€™t think that can be done as an effort to get under the cap by Wednesday. Because that trade canā€™t officially happen until Wednesday, both players are on their respective teams books until at least Wednesday at 4:00, at which point the trade can be made and restructure negotiations can begin. They canā€™t really restructure with their current teams, because restructuring usually involves converting a big portion of the current year salary into a signing bonus which the team they sign with is on the hook for.

Although realistically most teams need at least 10 to 15 million in cap space to sign draft picks, so the goal for now is to get under the cap and free up enough room to go after the FAā€™s you want, then you have some time to work on restructures and other cuts until the draft, when you start signing the rookie deals.

Lots of chatter in chiefs world that Schwartz was done and never coming back from his back injury.

I bet some team couldā€¦Use the Schwartz.

1 Like

Did theyā€¦watch him play?

https://twitter.com/globejimmcbride/status/1370360277598867458?s=21

Shocking that the Packers didnā€™t tag Jones. Even if they donā€™t want him back, at $8.6 million Iā€™d think youā€™d find a taker and could get a mid-round pick. I know RBs are mainly fungible, but he seems one of the few that are not.

It seems like the Packers are doing everything to punt Rodgers last few good years. Feel like at this point they should just do a quick rebuild and trade him for a few firsts, take the cap hit, and hope to start new run of contention next year with Love.

Iā€™m stunned. They must think that COVID really affected him, or that they can fix whatever is broken in his throwing, because he was truly horrendous the last half of the year. Truly, truly horrendous.

Thatā€™s a really good point, $8.6 seems like a positive asset when itā€™s just a one year deal, and heā€™s currently healthy.

Cam was good until he had Covid.

1 Like

Saints down to about 17M left after an expected waive. no longer the worst!

itā€™s 5 million for a team with still 60+ million in space who almost never participates in free agency

Especially when you consider who he was throwing to. He had arguably one NFL quality receiver and that guy was an undrafted free agent.

Iā€™m seeing even lower than that, around the 10-11M range.

and 14 million for a starting QB is a bargain.

1 Like

Itā€™s not even really $14M; itā€™s $5M base plus various incentives.