The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Come back to the office for human connection with your colleagues!

"He has set up a “bureaucracy mailbox” for staff to report “unnecessary and excessive process or rules [that] should be called out and extinguished.”

Every employee who was previously WFH should bombard this mailbox stating that the in office mandate is a unnecesary and excessive rule that should be called out an extinguished" over and over again

2 Likes

While diving during vacation in June I met a german dive master in training. She is an ICU nurse who took a 6month sabbatical from work. I am currently back here to do some more dives and an additional certificate and I asked her how much is left of the 6 month. She said 1.5 month, then she goes back to Germany for 2 months, quits her nurse job and starts the new year with 5 month in the Caribbean to become a dive instructor. After that she will be back on Mallorca for the season and probably moves here full time. She says there opportunities to work during offseason but she would prefer to go somewhere warmer during the winter month.
I really wish I still had the adventurer gene in me like after finishing my degree and playing poker for a living for few years. Love and hate to see this how people live their dreams away from boring jobs.

1 Like

Healthcare is the best portable profession to live an expedition lifestyle. On most other jobs your value only really kicks in after a few years, which doesn’t play well with 6 months on/6 months off. I met a few people in the road who worked in healthcare and did exactly that.

Worst case scenario she can always go back to nursing for a while. They’re never not in demand.

2 Likes

I was talking with one of my partners about her remote work policy. She says new staff have to come to the office every business day, but with each year of tenure they can work from home for one additional day per week. She’s been with the company for over 25 years.

So she gets 25 days per week to work at home!

My wife has to be in the office three days a week. The vast majority of those days, there’s no reason to be there. In fact, she works harder at home. Doesn’t take a lunch break - just grabs something from the kitchen and eats at her desk.