The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Children shouldn’t WFH, because they actually need to develop social skills and build up immunity and shit.

Any adult that prefers “waking up earlier to drive somewhere during rush hour with a bunch of yambags only to drive back home during rush hour” has a personality disorder that needs looking into.

2 Likes

Even before COVID 75% of our in office time was just spent on zoom meetings with people from other facilities, or just droning away in a cubicle using messenger to chat with people across the office. Yeah there’s some stuff that’s better in person, and maybe some tasks that required coordinating between people got done a bit faster, but overall the productivity hasn’t really changed a bit. Fuck sitting in a cubicle all day.

There’s no meaningful difference between children and adults in this context.

Nah. I can’t speak for everyone but my kids got feral being home all day. Think the Simpsons episode “Bart of darkness”. Kids need at least some regular interaction with other kids. Adults do too probably but I don’t feel like I need to commute to sit in a cubicle all day to get it.

Yes I agree with you heh. I meant that kids and adults, both being humans, need daily social interaction. Work from home is like junk food. Well said, by someone above.

The US is just too fucking big man.

What I find bizarre is everyone in this thread conflating the fact that they don’t WANT to go to work every day with the fact that there’s no advantages to it.

I think a big part of it is that most people have bullshit jobs, so people don’t care if they do a good job or not. Or further, doing a good job is a bad thing. So working from home and doing a bad job is in the plus column.

1 Like

I think it’s more of a question about who benefits from the advantages.

• Employees might arguably benefit personally from increased socialization with coworkers. However, more time in the office/commutes/less ability to work remotely could mean less opportunity to see family and non-work friends. So, the net benefit could depend on personal circumstances.

• Even assuming back to office increases productivity, most of the productivity gains are going to accrue to the company/owners. Some portion will probably be shared with employees, but (a) not all and (b) not necessarily in proportion to how much a particular employee contributed to the gains.

To an employee, the costs of going back full time are more quantifiable (expensive commute, less free time) and the benefits are less tangible. For an employer, potential productivity gains appear more quantifiable and the “costs” are less visible because they are mainly externalities that will have to be borne by the employees. So, it’s not surprising that employees want to be compensated in some way for the costs while the employers would love to just mandate a return to office without having to bargain for it.

1 Like

How much of a bonus for coming to the office would make employees indifferent about WFH?

Maybe office work will become like teamsters, where you’re in the clock as soon as you walk out your door (in entertainment anyway).

1 Like

I use a geolocation app to track my work hours so I’m on the clock when I drive into the parking lot, but then again I’m usually the first one there so somebody’s gotta pay me to unlock the front door cuz I ain’t doing that shit for free before I clock in.

2 Likes

Probably depends on each individual’s commute burden, so more like a range than a single number

Ya since most of the “cost” is time its largely going to be based off what you think your hourly is.

Outside of all other costs, I dont think its unreasonable to say on average people are probably “losing” 2 hours a day getting ready/commuting to work/not being able to do things around the house while at home. So I would expect at minimum 15-25% increase in pay to have to be in office instead of WFH. The gas, wear and tear on your car, potential extra food costs, and other misc things I would probably value somewhere around $3-500 a month.

Absolutely absurd hours they work in Mexico and my wife says that most people she knows usually have to travel an hour to work each way, some even 2-3 hours EACH way. Unpaid of course.

Vacation is hard to come by, 1 week is the standard, but I think you have to work a few years even to get that.

And $550/month is considered a good salary. If you make like $750/month that puts you in the top 10%. So most people will never really be able to travel internationally, or maybe 1 trip if they save well.

1 Like

I wonder what it costs companies in terms of health insurance premiums and lost productivity when the workers they force to schlep into a crowded office daily are further pressured to come in sick and spread infectious diseases to coworkers?

Probably not enough to convince Mr. Burns that it’s more than they are STEALING from him by typing those memos from home in their bathrobes.

You can’t put a price on being able to shit in your own toilet.

4 Likes

Bathtubs you mean

I wouldn’t have figured Germans for laziest.

Although I suppose I would mark them as most efficient, which could be implied by the graph.