The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Our 30% in office policy so far seems like a light suggestion and as of now local management is not enforcing it and few are abiding by it. I live in constant fear of that changing.

Someone I know in banking just got the memo. 3 days a week in the office. They will check each week for the proceeding week

Client facing meetings do not count as a day ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Mrs Rugby is required Tuesday Wednesday Thursday. Shes finding it really hard.

Like. Impacting mental health hard.

This is stupid.

2 Likes

Yeah ours is now Tu-Th. Me no likey.

1 Like

What is her issue?

office moving to shared desks, unless you plan/commit to average 4+ days in the office. this is indeed affecting everyoneā€™s mental health.

Was trying to do the mental calculations of what WFH would be worth compared to being required to being in office.

Its probably somewhere between 25-40% pay increase based on how much time id lose per day on average to commuting / getting ready etc + happiness equity.

3 Likes

White walls and florescent lighting is soul crushing.

Iā€™ll never go back to an office, ever. I get to see my kids go to school and Iā€™m here when they get back. Priceless. And Iā€™m massively, obviously more productive without yambags.

4 Likes

During a video meeting to explain the reasoning behind the changes, Clarke unleashed on his employees, saying he had deduced that some 30 employees had not opened their laptops for a month (the quiet quitters); wondering aloud if some remote employees were secretly working multiple jobs; and asking the company to increase productivity to ā€œ30 to 50 times our normal productionā€ as a result of recent advances in artificial intelligence while also making reference to the ā€œJudeo-Christian ethicā€ and noting, for unclear reasons, that he went to Oxford and Harvard.

All he was asking, he said, is that people come into the office and give their ā€œblood, sweat, and tearsā€ to the company. ā€œI challenge any of you to outwork me, but you wonā€™t,ā€ he added.

This guy sounds awesome, thinking of applying of course

1 Like

Office Space figured this out a quarter century ago.

The thing is, Bob, itā€™s not that Iā€™m lazy, itā€™s that I just donā€™t care. Itā€™s a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I donā€™t see another dime; so whereā€™s the motivation?

7 Likes

Saw some pre covid studies that suggested it was worth about 10%. Feels about right on average. More or less for different people of course.

I had two full time wfh (one mostly, one full) jobs for a year well before covid. I made a lot of money, but the stress was unsustainable.

I would start working 5am to midnight each day just to make him stay in the office.

these ceos are all pieces of shit.

12 Likes

What stress? Too much work? Maintaining the lie (I assume they didnā€™t know about each other)? Both?

Just work stress x2.

Did your coworkers do more or less work than you over this period relative to their assumed salaries?

I had no work at the main job. I complained to my boss. He told me I needed to create my own job. So I got a side job instead. FWIW I think most of the people in my group (one of two IT architecture groups at a 300k+ employee company) didnā€™t do much either. Our boss had basically hacked the system.

The startup side job was a ton of stuff to do for 6 months, then at some point after the 3rd or 4th pivot, everyone kind of figured out the product wasnā€™t going anywhere and started coasting and collecting a paycheck. But the meetings were still stressful because there was a lot of finger pointing. Iā€™ll take stress of being completely overloaded with work over finger pointing stress any day.

Iā€™d bet that 90% of the ā€œquiet quittersā€ just donā€™t have any work to do, and donā€™t care enough to make a stink about it. Thatā€™s on their management imo. But they probably donā€™t have shit to do either. Weā€™re too efficient now and a lot of companies are way over-employed, at least in some areas.

For the 3rd time, Iā€™m about to quit a job where I work from home full time and little to nothing to do. I hate it. Last week I worked 4-6 hours/day because I actually had stuff to do. I liked it. This week nothing. Iā€™ve worked a grand total of 2 hours. There are no projects on the immediate horizon. I deliberately hold back work so I wonā€™t be in this spot where I have nothing to do. And Iā€™m pretty sure the rest of my team does too. But unfortunately thatā€™s run out. Even 2 hours of work a day is much better than nothing.

Yes I could do some random proof of concept that no one cares about and will probably never go into production. But Iā€™d rather just work on my book instead.

If I complain to my boss she just says ā€œbuild me a data lake.ā€ No one knows why we need a data lake, or what we would do with it. But we know it sounds cool. Eff that. Iā€™d still do it if she was serious. But sheā€™s only brought it up twice - both times in response to me mentioning that I didnā€™t have much to do. Basically ā€œgo sweep that corner that no one ever sweeps.ā€ IE - donā€™t bother me.

The truth is Iā€™ve built a bunch of stuff and worked hard in the past. So now Iā€™m super valuable because I can keep the trains running. So my boss doesnā€™t care if I do nothing for weeks at a time, because thereā€™s nothing to do at the moment. I still hate it.

The person I call my boss is technically my bossā€™s boss. My actual boss talks to me for 5 minutes every two weeks, and always asks if theyā€™re working me too hard. Iā€™ve told him a dozen times thatā€™s impossible, and I get way more stressed about not having stuff to do. It just simply doesnā€™t compute in his brain.