The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Boss responded my followup this morning and said we were on same page, that he would get with me today so hopefully no bullshit

7 Likes

He got with me and heā€™s talking about 19% and that came from his boss so should be good but still have to get it signed off on I guess from HR, everything looking good

Pretty ecstatic

23 Likes

$11.90/h is goddamn fantastic. Congrats.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

This sure is an interesting take on resolving burnout.

This is just the dystopian capitalism version of ā€œslumming itā€.

Absolute trash journalism. Letā€™s just give a tech exec a free column to do damage control for Amazon.

The article really isnā€™t damage control. Itā€™s pretty damning about Amazonā€™s conditions. The only positive he mentions in the article is the physical labor helped him out of depression which is possible. When worked in college, I liked working in a warehouse because you did get a good workout. The article should have had the additional information that Amazonā€™s warehouse work isnā€™t typical of warehouse work so the physical warehouse stuff can still be done in a less demanding warehouse environment. A lot of less ā€˜optimizedā€™ warehouses are just daily shift work which varying hours based on seasonality, not the fast food emergency shift stuff.

The rest of the article is how terrible Amazon is. Hereā€™s how it starts

On my first day, I was given a hot-and-cold compress, some sort of sports drink, a COVID cloth mask with the Amazon smile on it, and one serving of a pain medication ā€” all in a Ziploc gallon-size freezer bag. I contrast that with joining a place like Microsoft

When your job starts you out with a cold compress and pain medication, you know itā€™s shit.

2 Likes

Yeah, he still get to put a heavy dose of ā€œI like the structure and zen-like fulfillment!ā€ on the piece. Like sure the job is hard but gee being a CEO is hard too and moneyā€™s not everything, you know. idk to me, it came of as being very both-sidesy on the issue of exploiting workers.

Seems like another ā€œIā€™m pretty wealthy and have had a pretty easy life. Iā€™m going to play pretend to be a normal working stiff to get in touch with how most of the rest of the world has to struggle to existā€.

These kinds of stories always make me irrationally angry. Throw them in the bucket with ā€œhereā€™s how I paid off my student loans in 2 years (my parents gave me $200k, but I had to cut down my Starbucks consumption to only 4 a week.)ā€

5 Likes

Bout tree fiddy

3 Likes

Non-paywall link

At first glance this article seemed like another ā€œkids these days just donā€™t want to work,ā€ but I think itā€™s actually about a shift in priorities, and is backed up by some data. Iā€™ve also observed the trends describes in my own career.

Sure seems like a lot of complaints about unpaid overtime in there.

:thinking:

I know that in IT a lot of the willingness for unpaid overtime was the threat of shipping your job to India. Those days are gone. Developing countries like India, China, Philippines etc. no longer have a large reservoir of highly qualified IT people willing to work cheaply. Their universities canā€™t keep up with the demand and they know their worth now.

Since the onset of the pandemic, several employees have asked for more pay when managers asked that they do more work, she says. ā€œIt was not like that before Covid at all,ā€ she adds.

GOOD LORD

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AlexSJacquez/status/1609743875337338881

The go-getter comment kills me.

1 Like

Everyone else is volunteering to get ponied, I might as well.

Itā€™s not crazy, but it is new. I only got OT when more than 40 hours were billable. Obviously 0 now that Iā€™m a contractor.
Shit is going to burn when the labor market goes back to normal.

At least somewhat lukewarm take incoming. I think the ā€œgo-getterā€ mentality is a good thing.

The problem is not so much the uncompensated work, itā€™s just that being a ā€œgo-getterā€ doesnā€™t pay off the way it should. Going the extra mile to make yourself stand out is not a bad thing. Itā€™s a bad then when there is no reward. If the people that did these kinds of things were appropriately rewarded, then I donā€™t think there would be a problem with the general principle. It is a problem if you donā€™t pay them immediately for the work AND you also donā€™t somehow reward them down the line (promotion, raise, etc).

Iā€™m not sure why COVID was such a catalyst for this whole thing to fall apart. Seems like it would have inevitably happened pretty soon.

1 Like

It also assumes workers are powerless. Obviously there are huge power imbalances between management and labor, but if your company is treating you like shit and paying you poorly, then go somewhere where they still treat you like shit but pay better.

I agree. Theres this kind of unwritten agreement. Yeah. Iā€™ll do the extra work and take on more responsibilities. But you have to invest in me somehow.

1 Like