The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

https://twitter.com/doughenwood/status/1538871573309947904?s=21&t=UoaELKy_sI3FQ_YDERbs2A

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1549527748950892544

My favorite
https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1549527771092639744

3 Likes

So 3/4 are happy

2 Likes

Fucking ā€œwork familyā€

:face_vomiting:

8 Likes

I would snap take any opportunity I had a 75% chance to be happy about a year later. Right now I donā€™t have anything on offer >5%. Golden handcuffs are still handcuffs.

1 Like

Itā€™s actually very natural for your brain to screw this up, people tend to form family-like bonds with people that they spend a lot of time with. This is a disaster in the workplace, of course because itā€™s a hook that psychopaths in the workplace use to manipulate people.

2 Likes

The closeness is totally an illusion, too. Outside of my first job as a teenager, Iā€™ve kept in touch with exactly zero people I worked with after they or I left, even the ones I genuinely liked and had things in common with and lived close enough to spend time with if I wanted to.

Basically as soon as Iā€™m faced with the prospect of maybe calling them to do something, I realize that without work to talk about, weā€™d hit an impasse after like a minute of pleasantries and have nothing to say.

1 Like

I still socialize with some of my friends from my very first job out of university (20 years ago) but that involves meeting up for drinks maybe 2 or 3 times per year. Itā€™s not like weā€™re still super close.

Yeah my very first job was different because we were all young and single and went out after work constantly and became real friends, it was almost like an extension of school or something.

Once you get into jobs with a wider age range and a significant number of people settled down, forget it. Iā€™ve learned that most people (myself included) are basically like Stanley from The Officeā€“I will only like you to the extent that you donā€™t actively make my job harder to do, or cut in front of me in line on free pretzel day. Otherwise leave me alone.

4 Likes

Yeah it was very much this. In my first job I worked late probably 2-3 times every week and there was always other people around, it was actually quite a bit of fun because we were all in our 20s and weā€™d work late, eat dinner together, and half the time at 9 or 10 go the bar and have a couple of beers.

Iā€™ve definitely noticed this in offices.

It was particularly weird when my then girlfriend, now wife was being recruited to consulting firms out of her MBA program. The vibe the office was very much going for was ā€œYou guys will all be each othersā€™ best friends and only support systemā€ meanwhile everybody was likeā€¦ Uhh Iā€™m 32, married, and have been living here for 8 years. Iā€™ve already got friends and donā€™t really want to spend my non-work time with the people Iā€™m already forced to spend 70 hours a week being around.

R/antiwork is a good read while ā€œworkingā€

4 Likes

Jfc at having a term for ā€œleaving your job on time and not working until the wee hours/on the weekend.ā€

How about calling it ā€œDoing the job youā€™re paid for and not giving away a bunch of your labor for free.ā€

9 Likes

I was up for giving it a real go.ā€ She continued to take phone calls at weekends, on holiday, at 10.30pm at night, turning up early and leaving late to keep up with colleagues.

No thanks

That article is right about the meaninglessness of modern work. So many people do weirdly abstract tasks that are several degrees of separation away from impacting the actual life of a real person. During the 20+ years Iā€™ve been in the workforce many companies have tried increasingly hard to sell the Purpose of the companyā€™s work. I think that might have been a mistake because actually creating a sense of purpose for employees via these initiative was pretty rare. Much more commonly it just created a sense of corporate bullshit (ā€œI know that you know that I know that you know that the Grand Purpose of this company is to channel money to shareholdersā€) or to make people think a lot more about seeking purpose in life and realizing they arenā€™t going to find it in filling out TPS reports in a cubicle.

1 Like

Straight out of uni I worked briefly for capital one and they were always talking about the companies ethos of like fairness, equality and service or something. Weā€™d have all employee ā€œmeetingsā€ (lectures) about the companies values and all that nonsense. This was back when there was a bit more room for bullshit in the profit extraction sphere but even back then I was like Iā€™m not sure how scamming poor people with 29.9% Apr credit cards to end up paying 3x retail for a TV they donā€™t need embodies the spirit of fairness but you do you I guess.

1 Like

I donā€™t even mind meetings like this. Those are basic concepts that actually mean something to someone. You probably do want your co workers to be following these basic ethical guidelines. ā€œDonā€™t lie and at try to do a good jobā€ is good stuff.

What Iā€™m talking about is the shooting rainbows out your ass PURPOSE stuff. Look at this nonsense:

ā€œTo take care of the people, spaces and places that are important to you.ā€

ā€œWeā€™re dedicated to inspiring, protecting and restoring your dream.ā€

ā€œOur purpose revolves around our mission to enrich and nourish lives: We strive to create a better world by considering the companyā€™s environmental, economic, social and ethical dimensions.ā€

These are just pulled out the ā€œAā€ section of the alphabetically ordered list. This stuff does not ā€œinspireā€ employees. It tells them that senior management lives an alternate reality where bullshit is king.

1 Like

One of the reasons I like working in applied science/technology. When you work at a plant (or do the research to develop the process) itā€™s easy to see a direct impact.

I have a business major son that is struggling a bit in his first year out of school with the exact concept of ā€œwhat do I really do?ā€

Reading through this thread, itā€™s amazing how well Office Space has aged.

1 Like