The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Yeah this is incredible. Good on em.

Hate to break it to this guy, but it cant possibly be that hard to “Eat their chewables” at the office.

3 Likes

On the flip side, those who don’t get high at work, dont get high at work regardless of whether it is at home or at the office.

1 Like

I once took 2 Ativan before a meeting with my boss and boss’ boss. Would not recommend.

Yeah this. Whoever tweeted that has never actually worked in tech.

Also they’re confusing product manager and project manager. Different roles at any place I’ve worked.

Both are undervalued by management imo. They think anyone can do the job. But not everyone can do it well, which makes a huge difference in productivity and the end product.

2 Likes
1 Like

It is true that if you let clients talk to developers directly, you’ll get a dozen half-baked features implemented to the exact letter of the client’s confused thinking, most of which the client will realize they don’t actually need, or didn’t really think through any but the happiest of happy paths.

This is where a good detail-oriented product manager comes in. They should be able to get to the bottom of what the client is actually trying to accomplish, have a better idea than anyone the long term road map for the product, have a rough idea of the technical limitations (what’s easy/hard/impossible), and usually have some user interface design skills.

The project manager has to herd cats and put out fires all day, and figure out how to motivate and keep on schedule a bunch of fussy developers with inflated egos who know they can’t be fired.

How does one ascend to either of these jobs?

Get hired, do well. Maybe take some kind of certification course. Agile for project management.

It really just takes a certain personality type and be detail-oriented and have good follow-through.

My buddy builds custom Lims and data analysis systems tailored exactly to what the customer needs for a fraction of the cost of the 7 figure packages out there. Great for small science businesses.

He has learned to stop fighting when the customer has an “idea”. He states his objection then he implements as asked and then gets paid again when it doesn’t work and he has to fix it (ie do what he planned in the first place).

Yeah that makes sense with a paying client. But when the customer is an internal client, it just means more work and hassle for you if you don’t get it right the first time.

And internal clients tend to be a lot less clear-thinking, because it’s not their money, and they’re just business people, not UX designers.

1 Like

So, which of these things do those two do? Sounds like the first.

Also, both of those jobs seem like they would pay more than $60K.

I’m an equivalent of a product manager (IT business analyst) and I make $90k working in the public sector. I’d expect it to be a 6 figure job in the private sector.

That’s more in line with what I would expect given how suzzer described it. Maybe the girl in the vid didn’t do a great job of explaining it, but her description did not leave me with the same impression as suzzer’s.

Yes in LA they would both be over $100k.

She sounded like she could talk intelligently about her product in the brief clip I saw. Those two are product managers I believe (I think they even say they are).

In your experience, do product managers write the stories for a sprint… that’s what I do, and I’m wondering if product manager and business analyst are analogous.

I think the way we worked was the product manager would write the specs, and either create wireframes or work with a UX person to create them.

Then the project manager and devs would work together to break those into sprints and stories - based on t-shirt sizing and fibonacci numbers and all that other annoying crap.

“How many points is task XYZ?”

“Depends on who it’s assigned to.”

“That’s not supposed to matter.”

“Well it does.”

Ad infinitum. Every time we started a new project. We liked to torment our project managers.

The business analysts tended to be in a more abstract realm I think. I don’t know what they did actually. I just know we had a guy in our group become a business analyst, and he said his whole floor just watches youtube videos all day.

It varies wildly based on the company you are in. In ours a Product Manager would define the products and the team product vision and roadmap. The Engineer Manager would work with the team to execute on the product vision and convert it into technical specs and a Project Manager would lead the resource and technical allocation of the team on each product, including doing sprint and grooming work. I don’t have a product manager (I’m a DS/ML manager), so I’m responsible for that part. We don’t do too much project management in DS in general compared to most SWEs. A business analyst is usually a SQL/Tableau/Excel guru that may run and analyze simple tests and data.

Man I am so bummed that David Graeber died last year. Somebody smart really needs to write a post-COVID edition of Bullshit Jobs