The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

I’ve previously used “tell me about a time you were treated unfairly”. Also works fairly well to weed out assholes.

The problem with all these niche questions tho is opportunity cost. Theres only so many questions you can ask, so you need those with the highest decision making power. Unless you are google and have 15 different interviews.

Now i tend to be fairly straightforward and just ask about the most important capabilities of the role.

The best answer here is good faith disagreement with a boss.

Here’s my bosses view. Here’s why I thought it was wrong. Here’s why the boss thought that and why it is a reasonable perspective. Here’s what I did to understand my bosses perspective. Here’s how I approached the problem and tried to engage my boss to change the decision in a reasonable way.

Evidence of clear understanding why equally competent people at senior and junior levels often have different perspectives on the same question would give the bonus points.

2 Likes

The problem I have, which I suspect is not unique, is I get incredibly nervous because I fully understand the stakes.

An extreme example is law firm interviewing. You either get hired by BigLaw for $200k or you likely make less than $75k. And the resume value / exit opportunity of BigLaw is easily worth several million over the course of a career. How the fuck can a human being not be scared shitless at age 25 with those stakes?

And for “worst supervisor” you talk about a time where someone good got put into a leadership role which didnt suit them, or they were just learning, and what you did to help support them adjust, but in a way where you still respected their leadership position.

If you dont have this exact example you spin your least assholish bad boss to sounds something like this, and put the best faith interpretation possible on why they were shitty.

4 Likes

No, not at all. BigLaw wants people who will bill 2,000+ hours and not complain. Being a good lawyer is better than not, but law students really don’t know anything so it’s impossible to go off anything except lol grades, which are in turn based on one essay exam per class.

The ability to attract and retain clients is crucial for partners, but something like 5% or less of BigLaw associates ever make partner. For at least the first 5 years you’re just there to bill in excess of your cost.

Depends how you look at it, I had jobs with pro sports teams before UP was a thing. I don’t particularly recommend it, though. Especially not if one likes money.

This! Back when I was in sports broadcasting and interviewing for jobs was actually a thing, I had four or five answers/stories I wanted to get in there one way or another, and I’d look for opportunities to pivot to them. The worst I ever did when getting an in-person interview was to come in second, so it worked pretty well.

One time I got hired and accepted but never got the job, that was awkward. They legit offered me the job, I took it, then they just kept ducking me on scheduling my training and filling out the paperwork. I decided if they were going to be dicks and refuse to give me a straight answer, I was going to keep calling/e-mailing once a week and try to make them admit they weren’t hiring me. They never answered, I finally gave up, then ran into the guy at the Philadelphia Eagles complex. Awwwwwwwwwkward. Sports broadcasting, man, what a fucking industry.

I also had a funny one where they offered me the job, but below their listed range of salary. They listed it at 35-40K in the job posting for 45-50 hours a week, they offered 32.5K, I countered for 37.5K, and they pulled the offer and told me they were insulted by my demands. That was for hosting an afternoon drive sports talk show solo and doing play-by-play for D1 college men’s basketball, so 37.5 was a pittance anyway.

Ironically most of the near misses worked out in my favor. The job I came in second for, a buddy got it, and he was out of there in a year or two and hated it. The job that pulled the offer when I negotiated was a dead end, they’d fire everyone after 1 or 2 years just to avoid ever giving a raise, regardless of how well you did.

The one that never scheduled my training, though, that was the break that could have kept me in sports broadcasting. I’m happy with how things worked out and getting into poker, anyway, but I’ll always wonder what would have happened there.

This thread makes me not regret for one second being self-employed for the past two decades.

6 Likes

So I shouldn’t go on for 45 minutes about how my first boss in LA was a cross between Captain Bligh and Dr. Smith from Lost in Space?

1 Like

For a number of these people it’s really a question of working for BigLaw Frim A, BigLaw Firm B, or BigLaw Firm C. There are definitely some people who are sweating the drop you describe, though. That would be stressful AF.

If I ever interviewed Riverman, there is a pretty good chance I’d Steinbrenner the situation:

I have been assured that Muricans need to work smarter. I am assured of this.

Sigh, apparently there is a big uproar in the r/antiwork community, which really sucks. Its an important subreddit for moving things forward

There’s a replacement: Reddit - Dive into anything

ETA: Also /r/antiwork is back up and open to people

That mod was incredibly stupid for going on Fox, even if you’re semi-prepared for the interview (which they weren’t) you know you’re gonna get torn apart and made to look bad no matter what you say. Better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, blah blah.

I just hope the user base quickly decides which subreddit should be the real one going forward. Antiwork is a dumb, easily attackable name anyway.

And also a complete shitshow.

What are they fighting about?

One of the mods went on Fox News and made the entire movement look like total morons and now another one of their mods is going on a media tour that will have the same result.

Cliffs notes on what the movement is?

It was originally more of an anarchist sub focused on the concept of work not being a requirement to live in society. More recently it’s been a sounding board for more mainstream concepts like a living wage, worker’s rights, encouraging people to stand up against bosses or get out of toxic work situations, etc.

One problem I think is that the mods (including the one that had the disastrous Fox News interview) are all from that old guard.

2 Likes

A buddy has a PhD in laziness (literally). He could go on and on and on about a future with no work.