The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

The consistent falsity is that the bulk of the great resignation is dropping out of the job market due to free government money. The majority is movin on up to a better gig.

The other thing is these fools keep writing articles about disappointing jerb data and then every month is being dramatically adjusted upward due to something something (I think a trump holdover is involved trying to make Biden look bad and/or there are some problems with the calculations not recognizing the current situation well).

The headline job number has always been hilarious like that. Markets focus on it, but has always been subject to massive revisions. Im guessing you are correct and the revisions, which are based on historical modeling data, are even more funky right now. IMO the right way to think about the number is a fairly wide confidence interval with the released number as a point estimate.

1 Like

Wifeā€™s teacherā€™s union agreed to even forgo cost of living increases at the very beginning of COVID when it looked like the world might fall apartā€¦. understandable, but should have easily gotten that torn up by now.

I think there will be a lot of this. In the conversations Iā€™ve been in, the Big Plan to deal with turnover risk is to increase the budget for salary increases from 2% to 3% and push the narrative down to managers that this is Our Biggest Salary Budget In Years. Problem solved, I guess.

1 Like

Iā€™m honestly in awe of the reactionary right wing brainā€™s ability to simultaneously hold multiple directly contradictory positions at the same time.

Also, boss brain is a disease. One of the most irritating things about our economy is itā€™s propensity to award absolutely terrible behavior. The only people that seek out power over people with no money or power are complete nut jobs.

1 Like

The classic excuse I always hear is ā€œyouā€™re already at the top of the band.ā€

Like I give a fuck? Sounds like a ā€œyouā€ problem.

3 Likes

Iā€™m in this exact situation.

ā€œRugby. You are paid **significantly ** more than anyone else doing your same jobā€

Yeah motherfuckers. Because you hired someone who knew what the fuck they were doing to tidy up 5 years of fuckup.

But now Iā€™m overpaid and overqualified. So when I apply for other jobs at the right level they assess me on my current responsibilitiesā€¦

Yup. Every year itā€™s like hereā€™s another 1.5%, honestly youā€™re one of the only ones even getting a raise this year, youā€™re making more than your supervisor (I feel bad about this but thatā€™s his problem, and I agree Iā€™m more valuable than him), as usual please donā€™t discuss your raise with anyone. Basically treating me like theyā€™re doing me a big favor.

Hell it happens in scientific data all the time. Then people come up with all kinds of theories about why the process slowed down for 3 hours and then sped back up the next 3 hours instead of considering that something was biased in the day.

(Hint the 2:00 sample may have been taken in the 1:30-2:30 window such that the first 3 hours is really 2.5h and the second 3 hours is really 3.5h).

A major pet peeve of mine.

Ya itā€™s super annoying but the fact is that so many people will just be frustrated about it but keep soldiering on. Applying for jobs or internal promotions if freaking time consuming and when you donā€™t get the job it feels like a massive investment of time for no payoff. But itā€™s an unfortunate fact of life now that if we want to be fairly paid we all have to maintain the habit of keeping resumes up to date and just spending a few minutes here and there on the regular trawling the job listings for chances to move for a pay bump.

I think maybe the best advice I can offer is 1) when you get the disappointing pay increase express the dissatisfaction (this year the headlines about inflation give you a good excuse to complain without making it personal); 2) when you get the disappointing pay increase channel that anger into something productive by updating your resume so youā€™re ready to go with future job applications; and 3) channel youā€™re inner Alec Baldwin and chant Always Be Interviewing as a mantra because you want to be practiced at interviewing when the golden opportunity presents itself.

I preach item 3 a lot. I started disliking my last job in around 2018. That year, I applied for two really good jobs that would have been an excellent fit and I made the final three in each case but didnā€™t get either. I ended up slogging in my job and tried some internal moves but it didnā€™t go anywhere, so in 2020 I applied for literally 100 jobs I think and interviewed for about 10 including a few jobs I was definitely not going to take. But toward the end of 2020 an absolute peach of a job opened up and I aced the interviews because I had honed my interview skills and had all these polished stories that had been battle tested in other interviews. I totally killed it and got a new job that is much more fun and pays much better (like about 30% more). I bet you that if I had just sat on my hands until this new great job opened up, I would have interviewed, been a finalist, and not got it AGAIN, just like in 2018. I totally attribute my successful application for the new job to the time spent interviewing for less attractive jobs. Always Be Interviewing!

8 Likes

This is great advice but man itā€™s hard when, like me, you would rather get beat with a tire iron than interview for a job. I hate them so much that I cut one off after like 15 mins when I knew I wasnā€™t getting the job.

ā€œTell me about a timeā€¦ā€

Fuck you! Youā€™re really going to make this decision based on who is the best at making up self-promotional stories?

8 Likes

Yup, I totally hear you, and indeed I have nobody to blame but myself if my salary stagnates at this point. My situation is that Iā€™m one of the very rare people in IT who stuck around at one place for a long time, I was in a good spot where Iā€™ve been able to grow with the company (along with my salary and responsibilities) and have actually been with here just over 25 years.

Definitely gives me pause when I think about starting something new at the age of 50, even though I know thereā€™s still a reasonable chunk of career time left to grow. I know if I stay here more than a couple more years Iā€™m just gonna feel like Iā€™m in ā€œrunning the clock outā€ mode. And of course management knows that too, which gives them leverage over me when they give me peanuts every year and tell me I should be happy with it.

I mean, this is still how most jobs are placed unless they are strictly technical roles and the interview is question like ā€œCan you use this software? Prove it.ā€

1 Like

Yes? Seems like that is what interviews are a lot of the time, unless youā€™re having people write code for you on the fly or using some other technical proficiency test as part of the interview. In my role, I work with scientific customers, so scientific communication is a #1 priority. So, ā€œTell me your favorite scientific story from grad school or your postdoc,ā€ is a super effective interview question when Iā€™ve been interviewing prospective coworkers.

1 Like

Sure but how many are just telling you bullshit stories theyā€™ve heard. Most I would think.

1 Like

I guess I should clarify that I mean ā€œfrom your work in grad school or post doc,ā€ so that theyā€™re telling me how they went from hypothesis to conclusion on their own. Thereā€™s no way you can just bullshit that with me. I did encounter someone who tried, but it was the most obvious thing in the world. Trying to just relay something youā€™d read about falls apart with a single follow up question, even just, like, asking for clarification about some detail.

1 Like

Fair enough, Iā€™m really ignorant of the whole interview/resume process. Iā€™ve been working for almost 40 years and at 7 different companies and never really had an official interview. Closest was the current job Iā€™m in now but even that was basically a shoe in because I knew someone there. At least 3 were offers made in pubs shooting the shit.

Yeah this is some weird rivermanning imo. Interviews are just 2 things, ā€œcan you do the jobā€ and ā€œare you an assholeā€ and the tell me a time when questions are very much code for finding out the 2nd question.

1 Like

Nah thatā€™s just not true. ā€œTell me about a time you overcame adversityā€ and ā€œwhat are your biggest weaknessesā€ are just tells the interviewer sucks. Usually companies hate hiring so they assign the task to the biggest douche.

I will concede my general disposition isā€¦not great for interviewing.

3 Likes

You should study more cognitive psychology.