The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

A couple of points on this, I agree with your second part here. People are really bad at guessing their own expected longevity. They tend to underestimate, usually by thinking of the age their parents died, so on average they will be a few decades of longevity improvement short of reality.

On the other point, what’s important to recognize is that even if you had perfect actuarial clairvoyance, you are still going to have a hard time pinning down your post retirement longevity. This means that it’s not a good idea to base decisions on your expected date of death - even if you perfectly know your annual mortality rates for every year of retirement, your plan should really cover a lot of scenarios where you die earlier or later than expected. The “later than expected” scenarios are the trickiest to manage - your options are a bit unpleasant. You either need to reduce your early retirement consumption “just in case”, or you need to pay for expensive guarantees from an insurance company. The SS deferral is one low hanging fruit out there for everyone where you can improve your hedge against outliving your savings in a very powerful way - monthly payments for your life indexed to inflation and guaranteed by the government. That’s a potent retirement portfolio asset and I generally suggest taking full advantage of these old age guarantees that are expensive to buy in the marketplace.

1 Like

I basically bet on myself and had debt-accumulating fun in my 20s and 30s. But it makes sense that wouldn’t work for most.

Step one is “even though you are massively in debt, spend hundreds on my books, tapes, live counseling, and arena show appearances.”

Fuck that guy with all of the rusty sporks.

to an extent, this is true, although there are other accidents can spring someone forward, or backward, in terms of savings. i got lucky in that that i snagged a job that paid that provided housing for a year. by hustling a bit most of my student loans were paid. there should be more opportunities like that for graduates, like peace corp, and ameri corp.

of course, all of that can derail just as quickly when people get pregnant, or have a death or illness in the family.

I think it’s correct. Yuv once referred to them as “the sex years” and the rest of existence is diminishing returns. You need like 300 sq ft when you’re 70, and you mostly won’t be doing shit anyways except refreshing your Fidelity account to make sure the last transfer went through so you can keep paying the buttwipe nurse.

6 Likes

don’t worry guys, conservative pundit has an idea how a conservative senate candidate can fix this workers shortage thingie you are all so concerned about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/01/11/jd-vance-might-just-have-an-ace-up-his-sleeve/

Ohio Senate candidate J.D. Vance seems to be trailing other Republicans in his state’s primary contest. But the novice politician might just have an ace up his sleeve to reinvigorate his campaign: Going hard against companies that don’t verify that employees can legally work in the United States.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any chance I’ll stick the landing but I have managed to Costanza an interview with a pro sports team tomorrow, Orlando City SC. :crossed_fingers: I’ve accepted a jerb and am supposed to start Monday, burning through old PTO this week, but I will take less to go to this place because of course I would

26 Likes

I’m not sure where he is at now, but my brother has a friend that’s been head of promotion/publicity at a number of pro sports teams. Big league and minor league level.

I’m a season ticket holder for Orlando city, good luck!

Good luck with the jerb!

While you’re there see if you can get them to do something about the name. Orlando City is dreadful.

Well, you might not be the first 22 alum to get a job with a pro sports team, but you will have the distinction of being UP’s first. Congrats!

1 Like

What type of job?

Mascot.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Got a 2.28% raise and that was one of the highest in the company.

This is after no raise last year and they temporarily cut our pay during I don’t even remember when Covid first started.

Fuck this

4 Likes

18.5% raise after no raise last year, and think that was pretty standard at my company. Company did not even quite return to pre-COVID levels in profitability in 2021 for various reasons but they could read the room and understood there would be a mass exodus if they didn’t step their game up.

So yeah, should start sending resumes out ASAP.

4 Likes

$11.85 over an old salary of $10/h?

amirite?

:grin:

That’s effectively like a 10% pay cut over two years. Vote with your feet!

1 Like

The union at my plant did a bang up job negotiating the new contract, managed to lock in a 2% wage increase for the next three years. Insane. I’m salary/management, but I want to pay these guys more because we’re shorthanded and can’t get full. My boss is all “raising wages won’t help, Biden blah blah blah paying people to stay home blah blah blah.” Raising wages won’t help? Why do you come to work everyday motherfucker???

1 Like

Something something about that single study from circa 1980 about how people crave recognition way more than money lol.

1 Like