The Ginger C(h)at LC Thread for Sundry Chatchitting

Reminds me of the greatest internet commenter fiasco ever.

3 Likes

Man the parallels between that and our About Unstuck threads are way too real. Also this would make a great copypasta:

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure sparky turned out to be a fine chap.

1 Like

Had my first ever ā€œshould I intervene in someone elseā€™s parentingā€ moment today. It happened very fast and I didnā€™t. I would generally strongly say you shouldnā€™t intervene, but this one has me really doubting.

I was in a park waiting for wife + child to emerge from the toilets. I was looking at my phone but I was aware a family was getting on some bikes nearby and that a young-ish child was crying and making a big fuss. I wasnā€™t really watching but I could see that the kid acting up was about two and in a seat on the back of one of the adultā€™s bikes.

This carried on for minutes and at a certain point I looked up and they were all ready to go except the man, who was doing something to the back of the kid on the bikeā€™s head. The kid seemed calmer and I couldnā€™t tell what he was up to so watched. After a few moments he stepped away and as the family got ready to go I realised heā€™d tied a bit of rope between the bike seat and the kidā€™s helmet, presumably to keep it from leaning forward too much. It seemed to have a little but not much slack in it.

It me a while to process exactly what I was seeing as obviously that seems crazy, but I was pretty close and it definitely was that. The helmet was definitely fastened under its chin.

They set off pretty quickly just as I was beginning to think I should maybe say something. I donā€™t think intervening would have changed much, but I also think they were maybe turning a bike seat into a potentially deadly weapon on a kid, so ā€¦ I dunno. I do however know that I canā€™t get the image of it getting its neck snapped out of my head, so what Iā€™d really like is if you can tell me Iā€™m worrying about nothing.

Just to be clear:

rope

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing the kid doesnā€™t like his head bobbing around during rides :grinning:

Also, since the child was presumably restrained in the 3-point harness, Iā€™m not sure tying the back of the helmet to the seat would increase the risk of a neck injury, since it should minimize the likelihood of the head moving violently.

2 Likes

Yeah if the helmet thing was the only thing holding the kid in, thatā€™s nuts.

Otherwise, it seems like a reasonable way to prevent whiplash on a kid who is presumably strapped into a harness.

Fair enough, makes sense and certainly glad to be wrong. I did think something weird would have to happen for the head to be pulled in a way different to the rest of the body, but I wasnā€™t sure how unusual and it just seemed like a reverse freeroll.

I actually use one of those seats with my own kid most days, maybe itā€™s actually a new tip to try out.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1416618467546083328

5 Likes

Thatā€™s why when I send in my taxes I always put in a twenty with all the forms. Gets mine put at the top of the pile iykwim.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think youā€™d get the Rumsfeld seal of approval.

Damn, youā€˜re much older than I thought.

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/elizaskinner/status/1417149988354760705?s=09

Lmao standard

5 Likes

Layne Flack died. Sad.

Thoughts on repairing vs replacing a 10 year old washer dryer set?

Also, anyone have an all in one? They any good?

Are they actually failing or you are just updating?

We recently bought a new set and we ended up going with a Samsung pair, base on Consumer Reports ratings and price. The all in oneā€™s tended to have lower user ratings, for whatever thats worth. I also hate the idea if needing to replace both if only one fails.

1 Like

They are shaking like crazy. My issue is to call a guy in will be like 1/4 cost of new. Might as well go new I think.

Iā€™ve had all in oneā€™s in a few apartments. Usually smaller loads than standalone but other than that they werenā€™t any problem. I rarely did more than a load or two a week though.

1 Like

Replace.

Separates should be more reliable and last longer but obviously take up more space and cost more. Weā€™ve always had all in ones. Get an AEG or Bosch and you should be ok.

Top load or front load washer? Weā€™ve had a front load for the last 10 years and my wife is pretty resolute that weā€™re replacing it with a top load because of the mildew smell. (And inconvenience of the washer door opening into the dryer, making it hard to switch from washer to dryer.)