The French Laundry & Other Great Dining Experiences

Damn that kimchee looks devine.

1 Like

These two feel like they would approach a mainland bowl-style poke if you just stacked the ingredients instead of putting them next to each other separately.

without yozo ponzu spicy mayo? unacceptable.

Well, I did say ā€œapproachā€.

i feel like i know where the second one is from, and i would rank that place at the bottom of all my hawaii poke experiences.

Summary

koloa fish market?

i would love to see your rankings, we try to go to Hawaii every year and are always looking for hot food spots

your thoughts on south maui fish co in kihei?

Ok, if weā€™re going to nerd out on poke hereā€™s one for you experts.

Iā€™m trying to suss out where the major advantage of Hawaiian poke lies.

Imagine that all Hawaiian poke spots prepare the fish the same as they currently do, but they decided to start only offering mainland style poke bowls. At the same time, everyone on the mainland, maintaining the same fish prep that they currently do, decides to switch to the no-frills poke, rice and side(s) in a box.

In this hypothetical scenario, which poke would you prefer to eat? No copping out with ā€œnone of the aboveā€.

Itā€™s kinda hard to have Hawaiians prepare poke as they currently do, but also have Chipotle-style poke. Hawaiian-styleā€™s key is the pre-marinated fish (which then canā€™t be subsequently customized), but mainland style fish gets sauced at the time of the order according to what the customer chooses. Iā€™m not sure how youā€™re envisioning squaring that.

Low quality fish will only become worse if doesnt have a million ingredients to hide behind

Iā€™ve only been to two poke spots on the mainland and in both cases the fish was pre-marinated (at least I think it was, on second thought I could be wrong on that) and then they add sauce and shit to it. So, imagine the Hawaiians doing that. ,

Does mainland necessarily mean worse quality fish? Iā€™m sure itā€™s worse on average, but there have to be places that source good fish. Or so I would think.

So in that case whatā€™s the question? I would rather have the good quality fish.

If identical fish quality, pick the one without spicy mayo

Thatā€™s the question. I wasnā€™t clear how much of Hawaiian pokeā€™s advantage was merely due to fresher, better fish. It sounds like youā€™re saying that is almost all of it.

I would be interested in the answer to this as well.

Anywhere outside of a few miles from the coast will start to suffer

Agreed, but the US does have a shitton of coast

While freezing is required, veing able to thaw immediately and not ship has to do wonders for it

Right, so especially pacific coast youre gonna have some comprable poke to the islands

You mean in my hypothetical example or in real life. Because if itā€™s the latter, all the poke snobs here vehemently disagree.

Well no, because if the fish quality isnt good then donā€™t eat it. If the fish qualify is good hiding it with 18 ingredients and 7 sauces is stupid and wasteful.

There are tons of great variations for marinated or seasoned raw fish. Ceviches, tartares, carpaccios etc etc. poke always seemed the dumbest to me cause it completely overpowers the taste of the fish.
I never had hawaiian poke which sounds like it doesnt do that.