The French Laundry & Other Great Dining Experiences

We got a place in Cali called L&L Hawaiian barbequee that makes a kille spam musubi

i think you live near roseville. try Kabab Hut if you havenā€™t.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been to one of their Vegas locations.

1 Like

Ill try it out. Thanks for the rec

well never been to hawaii so no reference to whatever the good version of the dish suppose to be. all the poke i had sucked. just a glorified catch all cheesecake factory dish but somehow pretentious

1 Like

Not only the simplicity, but one of the big seperators between Hawaiian and Mainland poke is how fresh all of the fish is on the island. Fresh from the sea poke is just infinitely better than fish that has had to have been shipped anywhere.

1 Like

Yeah, its a 100% must get in Hawaii. On the mainland its a trend, on the islands its just damn good, simple, hearty food.

Damn it now I want Hawaiian poke

1 Like

hawaiian poke is great because the fish is super fresh. as soon as itā€™s anything less than tasty, itā€™s replaced with a better one. thereā€™s little secret to good food that comes from great ingredients. it doesnā€™t need a production at all, just serve enough of it for the person to feel satisfied.

hawaii in general is great because so many other cuisines are represented. you can drive around an island and find filipino, japanese, hawaiian, american, barbecue, seafood, vegetarian, fruit-forward, spice-forward, homestyle, refined, side of the road, gas-station packed lunch, and lots and lots of fusion you never even conceived. and it all kind of goes together at the same time.

1 Like

Fuck that looks incredible

1 Like

I guess Iā€™ve never had real poke.

All of what Iā€™ve had is those poke bowls that you described. There are definitely places that can pull them off. Even I like them and Iā€™m not the biggest fan of raw fish dishes, although they are growing on me.

3 Likes

inconceivable.

put in 18 more ingredients, smother it in spicy mayo ponzo buzz word sauce call it rainbow dragon fire kiss and charge 23.99 then weā€™ll talk

2 Likes

Wish we had pokemon restaurants here in the midwest.

1 Like

Which PokƩmon would taste the best?

this was my last trip. i donā€™t care iā€™m posting it in a french laundry thread.

1 Like

You havenā€™t lived until youā€™ve had Squirtle Soup

1 Like

This is now the Eating Good Food You Didnā€™t Cook thread.

Yeah, basically every mainland poke place Iā€™ve been to uses the Chipotle model: get a bowl, get a base, get your fish, pick out some subset of the substantial assortment of accouterments as you work your way down the counter, some of which are included in the price and some of which involve an upcharge, in contrast to picking one or two types of fish, which are already sauced and seasoned according to the house recipe and getting that over rice with maybe a simple side.

1 Like

One of the fancy poke places near me does the ā€œbuild a bowlā€ model, but they also will sell the marinated fish by itself in 1/2 lb. quantities. Itā€™s not as good as what I was used to in Hawaii, but it scratches the itch. They also make some pretty legit spam musubi and I feel like I always get a little nod of respect from the owner when I just roll in and order a pound of lomi lomi salmon and some musubi instead of building some 20 ingredient, 3 sauce monstrosity.

4 Likes

This thread made me in mood for a poke bowl

But yeah, this was more like an asian salad than anything. The ratio of greens and veggies to fish was pretty terrible. Still tasted alright

3 Likes