The French Laundry & Other Great Dining Experiences

Hmmm, do you maybe mean Scotch Lodge? Scotch Lounge isn’t turning anything up near me. The Lodge looks really good, but I will take your word on the oysters. They are one of the few things I don’t like.

Yep! Sorry! Scotch Lodge. They had an incredible whisky list as well.

Booked Joel Robuchon in Vegas for June. Have dined at l’atelier before, but this will be first time at Robuchon proper. Anyone been before? Would love to hear of your experiences there as a preview.

A little casual soba lunch.

10 Likes

At some point, this is going to turn into just mocking those of us who really want to visit Japan but are still unable to, but you’re not quite there yet.

6 Likes

What did that cost? About $3.50?

Its amazing how much better Tempura looks in Japan than here

1 Like

This one was about $11. No tipping required of course.

I’ll be back in the states next week, and stuck for a while with the same stale imitations as the rest of you.

There has to be some food here that Japan doesn’t do at least as well, if not better. What is it? Mexican and (some American style) barbecue would be two that I’d guess, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if some there are places you could go in Japan where you could get excellent versions of those as well.

Those are the two that are hardest to find, though Mexican has been making healthy inroads of late. Used to be nonexistent, but in recent years I’ve found excellent tacos in Tokyo and in Kyoto. I’m sure you can find some excellent BBQ somewhere, but it’s far from prevalent.

Interestingly, I’ve also struggled to find good cheap Vietnamese food, even while other Asian cuisines (Thai, Korean, Chinese of course) are available in abundance.

Indian lunch in Tokyo’s Ginza district.

The cost? About three sushi lunch specials back home.

3 Likes

I’m a simple man. I’m in a restaurant in Slovakia and I order Slovakia’s national dish, Bryndzové halušky.

Is it fancy? No. But is it good? Well, it’s potato dough topped with sheep cheese and bacon with a side of sour cream (not pictured). So, it was delicious.

6 Likes

Looks like you were at a Slovak Cracker Barrel

2 Likes

I’d put it in my mouth hole.

Slovak chain restaurants aren’t really a thing.

Also, I honestly hate upscale dining. This place was more of a mid-range restaurant by Slovak standards

Kamonegi Soba in seattle

5 Likes

Egg custard in bottom right?

yep with shrimp and morel mushrooms

Spicy vegan, gluten-free ramen in Tokyo.

6 Likes