The French Laundry & Other Great Dining Experiences

that’s my goto technique with normal dumplings too. except for saving broth obv

My info might be outdated and I visited Chicago infrequently enough that once I found one good option, there was no point in looking for anything else.

2 Likes

My wife passed her test to become an education admin aka principal today. Celebrated with dim sum.

10 Likes

Pork belly buns in the upper left?

Yessir. Dipping those in the soup dumpling chili oil… :+1:

Nice.

@MrWookie and @grue where did you guys park for FL? Im trying to find suggestions online but not turning up much

Every day is fine dining in Japan. A few random Japan eats:

Shrimp sushi from local revolving sushi joint

Crab bento

Anago (freshwater eel) bento

Tomato cream crab pasta

8 Likes

At a B&B a couple blocks away where we were staying. Parking around there sucks, but you can maybe putter around and find street parking on residential streets.

How are the travel restrictions to Japan these days? Looking to head there for our 10th anniversary later this year.

Unfortunately the travel ban is still in place for nonresidents.

However, restrictions are slowly easing (only 3 day quarantine for 3x-vaxxed returnees from abroad beginning next month), so I’m cautiously optimistic that barring another covid wave, things will begin to open up later this year.

1 Like

There was street spots literally right outside.

Thanks Grue and Wookie, we got a fantastic spot.

Live update: Absolutely incredible. The egg custard might be the best thing Ive ever eaten. Everything is seasoned impecably.

8 Likes

I would like to know more about this egg custard tomorrow! What course was it?

Was it the white truffle infused custard served in an egg shell?

1 Like

Thats it. TR tomorrow

1 Like

Attempting to snag reservations in 10 minutes. Only have a 2 day window that I can pick from so I’m guessing I have no shot.

There’s gotta be a ton of good Chinese food in Chicago. My partner is Chinese, and dating her has opened my eyes to the ridiculous amount of Atlanta’s Chinese (and other Asian) offerings not geared towards white people. Atlanta has entire restaurants dedicated to Peking Duck, Chinese BBQ (totally different than Korean BBQ), Chinese Ramen (totally different than Japanese Ramen), dry hot pot, Korean Chinese, and bakery/sweets, in addition to the more standard hotpot, dim sum, and mainstream Chinese food.

For instance, I have flagged The X Pot on my map in Chicago. It looks like hot pot at a level not available in Atlanta.

1 Like

When we lived in Chicago, our go-to Chinese place was Lao Sze Chuan in Chinatown. That’s more than 10 years ago, and it’s expanded since then to other locations, so I have no idea if it’s still good. But I’m stunned at the idea that Chicago doesn’t have good Chinese food.

1 Like

Sushi lunch today. 550 yen.

16 Likes