The Former Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Volume XII: Nevertheless, NFTs!

Awesome. Queenstown is a fun town. You’re not going down into Fjordland though? Like Milford Sound etc?

the local mexican place I pick up from lets you text your orders in. I don’t know if this is the owner’s personal phone or what but it’s an iphone SE.

Can’t believe this thread has me missing Trump right now.

6 Likes

I mean in the bigger cities you can kind of choose your own adventure. If you want the same corporate nonsense it’s there, but there are plenty of non-chain awesome restaurants in Philly. When I lived in a cool neighborhood there, I could walk to amazing Italian food (best I’ve ever had) in a dive bar, a farm to table spot with live music, a great hole in the wall Thai place, a cool beer garden with German food, an incredible Lebanese restaurant, and a really good Ramen bar. Also an awesome cocktail bar.

And that was just within a 15 minute walk and there were four or five places on my “to try” list when COVID hit.

Now in the suburbs that’s the big thing I miss. We just don’t eat out very often, my gf loves our local Mexican place but mainly because she loves their margaritas lol… There’s a local pizza place that’s extremely good, and there’s a cheesesteak place that’s good, and we’ve got an almost replacement level Thai spot (I’m picky about good Thai though cause I love it). But other than that it’s just picking from the best of the corporate sludge basically.

The big problem is most big US cities have mediocre, at best, public transit and it’s a nightmare to park a car in most of the cool areas. So the people who can afford to drop $40-60 a night on taxis and Ubers have plenty of fun experiences, but the rest often have like 60 minute subway rides to enjoy that.

Yeah that’s a “them” problem though.

It’s following the millennials.

Yeah in my limited experience passing through the two states, Kansas and Oklahoma are food hell. I’ve never been so excited to see a Chipotle!

One of my favorite things about Spain was how you’d finish a meal and sip on wine and you could sit there for hours without being pressured to leave - they wanted you to stay and enjoy yourself. What did they care? They had a living wage and good healthcare!

This is a good point. Ive gotten pretty good at stir frys and other chinese/japanese cooking, but trying to get the flavors right for indian, thai, curry, etc is pretty difficult.

If you find a good curry paste, you can make a pretty good Thai curry. IME you have to order one online, the stuff in the grocery stores sucks.

the idea that Rando, Kansas is a hellscape for good food, therefore the entire USA sucks for food is pretty lol.

but I guess it’s pretty understandable that someone who would judge the USA’s food scene completely based on the existence of Chilis would also think this is a relevant data point.

Grunching: I think this mirroring is pretty shrewd by DeSantis. With his current brainpower driving his words in a reasonably coherent manner, these mannerisms will seem subliminally familiar and comfortable to the HAM MAGAS.

2 Likes

If you gourmonds are so insisitent on immediate access to an authentic meal, why don’t you start your own country?

7 Likes

I read @WichitaDM comments about food as being tied into his larger point about overall USA#QANON culture. Of course there are pockets of greatness, but overall the USA eats at Applebees and restaurant choices may be helpful to understand broader cultural values.

1 Like

I still say Hillary’s “basket of deplorables” comment turned out to be a bigger assist than most give credit for. Along with Comey reopening the investigation

3 Likes

We (mostly my gf) make pho every few months. I think she mostly goes off an internet recipe tbh and it goes really well

If you find it I would love to see. Ive gotten good at Ramen, but I cant quite get my flavors right in the pho.

It tends to be overly salty, and good pho is such a clean flavor

This is really the biggest thing. North America’s disastrous urban planning means that for most people going out to eat is a shitty experience no matter what. You can hop in your car and drive 3 miles to Olive Garden. Or take an expensive Uber so you can have a few drinks without killing someone. Or plan for 90 minutes of travel time to buy a taco. My neighborhood in Toronto is crazy expensive because it’s smack dab in the heart of a vibrant mixed use neighborhood. I can walk to ramen, jerk chicken, sushi, Thai, etc. in under 10 minutes from my condo. And its a NICE walk in a livable tree lined street neighborhood. Friends that live in the suburbs in R1 housing need a full evening plan to first of all get to a place that has anything other than single family homes, and even then it takes a special effort to get to a place that isn’t basically big box stores plus Boston Pizza.

Pret a Manger may suck, but for overall quality of life it’s better to live in a Paris neighborhood where you can walk to one at the end of your block rather than live in a North American suburban disaster where you can’t even get out of your subdivision without a car.

5 Likes

I just asked and was wrong, she actually watched a bunch of YouTube videos and kinda pulled together a recipe of her own based on that. Coincidentally she’s doing that same thing with ramen right now and thinks ramen sounds harder than pho haha

1 Like

I probably agree with her. There is certainly more of a process with Ramen, but I think ramen broth can have a wealth of different flavors and turn out great whereas pho to me has a very specific broth that carries similar flavors wherever you happen to get it, Im just having trouble getting those notes right.

I guess I have to ask the obvious…where is the saltiness coming from? Too much fish sauce? Are you using a brand that is saltier than average? Have you considered adding it later in the cooking process?

trump stole the cesspool line from the ridler in the last batman.

This is a possibility. I probably havent found a great recipe and am choosing those that incorporate too many salty elements