The Former Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Volume XII: Nevertheless, NFTs!

It’s juicy that there is an inside informant but if you keep reading, the same source says the government pretty much just wanted the documents back and nothing more, i.e. not looking to prosecute Trump.

Seems like a pretty impossible case to win and the information the government was trying to protect would suddenly become the most sought after and scrutinized information in the world, i.e. it would be a nightmare for the National Security types driving the whole thing.

1 Like

There has got to be an outside chance that this whole debacle was coordinated deliberately by tRUmp’s circle to generate kinetic energy for the faux outrage machine.

Would require competence and planning so probably not

1 Like

Not tRUmp himself, he would have wanted to be there when the FBI arrived so he could grandstand. No, I’m thinking whoever is the “informant” leaking the info was coordinating with his inner circle/advisors to generate outrage and rile up his base with no downside.

The Informant is John Barron!.

7 Likes

You mean to tell me nothing is going to happen to Trump? No way. Ah well, Katyal/Preet/Toobin will be ready for the next nothingburger.

1 Like

Does he actually have to release his taxes now or is this just going to the Supreme Court and then good try mooted in 5 months?

Lol, no it’s going to the Supreme Court, but maybe an en banc hearing first, and whoops, republicans took the house, and the clock just ran out. But also, who cares? He committed just all the crimes in public and nothing happened. There is literally nothing in his tax returns that could possibly be worse than J6 or his phone call with Zelensky.

4 Likes

Counterpoint:

1 Like

Yeah thats what I meant by mooted in five months. I couldnt remember if it had already been remanded from the Supreme Court or whether we were just getting there as I had lost interest a long time ago.

I lost track of it too honestly, but I’m pretty sure they can find a way to at least get an appeal together and run out the clock for five more months.

He did a fucking coup in plain sight and he hasn’t even been subpoenaed. Hopeless

4 Likes

They’re just going to keep doing these tweets forever arent they

https://twitter.com/aweissmann_/status/1557483617227522048?s=21&t=S1o1_oJCkGVeCLOKNOpg2w

1 Like

Any normal federal employee caught with TS/SAP documents at home would be starting at serious federal charges right about now.

1 Like

Especially when the National Archives already came by once to pick up a bunch of boxes, and the FBI has to come back with a search warrant to grab the stuff you didn’t cough up the first time.

1 Like

Exactly. I’m sure this is a major crime if committed by basically anyone else but it’s a former President and one who is apparently above the law so they’ll just claim the documents and leave him alone. Seriously, all they did was take some documents that didn’t even belong to him and BOTH sides are riled up like they arrested or shot him or something.

Apparently all the TV coverage about Trump now is every lawyer they can find coming on the air to explain the difference between pleading the fifth in civil trials and criminal trials

Maybe they can issue a letter about how this is a major crime, but they’re exercising prosecutorial discretion to not charge him with what they could, basically declaring him guilty without giving him his day in court to argue otherwise or grandstand.

https://twitter.com/adamparkhomenko/status/1557510503051689990?s=21&t=kVwuKQTQ9NFtd77OYzqxmg

tenor

2 Likes

I’m truly shocked he was able to do this without once losing it

https://twitter.com/sawyerhackett/status/1557519647121055744?s=21&t=kVwuKQTQ9NFtd77OYzqxmg

1 Like