The Former Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Volume XI: The Crypt Keeper Years

That’s a great question, but I am very confident that treating them like toddlers is not the right approach. For example, none of these helpful suggestions you posted are terribly effective for stopping Trumpers.

The problem with associating Trumper idiots with toddlers is that it establishes the rest of us, by comparison, as parents of toddlers with the obligation to put their interests and well being ahead of our own. It also implicitly assigns us the responsibility of their personal growth. This is all wrong headed and messes up the analogy.

If you want a relatable and actionable analogue to dealing the Trumpers, the closest thing I can think of is dealing with cult members. That framework more accurately assigns the responsibility to change to the Trumpers, it correctly recognizes their insider/outsider group think, it correctly captures the dynamic where yelling at them pushes them deeper into the cult, and it correctly recognizes that the leadership of cults is usually a charlatan promising a brighter future that never arrives. The one way out of cults is for the individual to see that the promises are never coming to fruition and to see that they’ve been duped. It’s a huge uphill battle but it’s a way.

8 Likes

I said even before the election that they wouldn’t go after Trump. It’s not just that he’s rich. It’s because they’re worried about Republicans going after them, which they will anyways, and they are worried about driving up turnout among Trumpers during the midterms.

It’s possible without Trump on the ballot or screaming on social media they we need to oust the dems that Rep turnout is bad. If they locked up Trump though their turnout would be insane.

The most +EV move would be to stall until after the midterms, then come down on him like a hammer. But they should also be releasing his tax returns and other shit to start building the case of doing so slowly throughout the whole thing, them doing nothing indicates they are just going to let him off which is pretty fucking terrible.

From an electoral standpoint the most +EV move is to talk directly to voters about they things that the Dems do to make their lives better day to day, and the things the Rs to to make them worse. If they weren’t beholden to their rich supporters they would do that. In fact, AOC does it all the time on her Twitter because she’s not bought and paid for.

2 Likes

True. They’d probably have to fight the media too like aoc Bernie do. The entire system is set up to prevent the change we need

Kinda respect the CYA-ness.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1404793301199429646?s=19

Make sure you’re sitting down - confirmed Trump fired the Atlanta DOJ guy for not playing along.

https://twitter.com/sgurman/status/1404778608103657476?s=21

It was all a trial run, they all know it’s a free roll now.

This is very concerning!

1 Like

1 Like

It wasn’t mine either

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1404916355279765508?s=21

makes u think

1 Like

JLawOK (the takeaway is his CFO has not flipped and the case against him is weak)

Wasn’t it blatantly obvious that Trump had a military coup in his arsenal? He wasn’t changing out DoD officials for nothing in the weeks prior to the Inauguration. Didn’t they put up fencing around the White House too? It seems 100% certain at least to me that Trump would have gone full military dictatorship but the military refused, even with the new people.

Yes, also remember the JCOS guy (Milley?) giving a big speech essentially saying no coup during the lame duck period.

4 Likes

Looking back and judging by feels I had attempted coup at something like 20%. And who says they didn’t try? They were just not competent enough to actually get much done beyond rubbing crap down the halls of Congress.

“I’ve done all this stuff for the Blacks-it’s always Jared telling me to do this,” Trump told an associate on Father’s Day 2020, according to the book. “And they all f------ hate me, and none of them are going to vote for me.”

Gotta be honest, I’m surprised he used “the blacks” there instead of something else.

Maybe he was talking about Mr and Mrs Black.

I think it’s pretty funny how even Trump thinks Kushner is stupid.

6 Likes

Never forget this beautiful article title, lol.

2 Likes